A Love Letter to My Freshman Year

A Love Letter to My Freshman Year

"You taught me more about myself in 2 semesters, than 4 years of high school ever could."
11

Dear Freshman Year,

We've been through a lot together. Although at times you were my enemy, you became a close friend and a forever cherished memory.

We spent many nights full of tears, laughter, mistakes, memories, and smiles. You taught me more about myself within 2 semesters than 4 years of high school ever did.

You taught me I am so much stronger than I let myself believe. I can truly accomplish anything I put my mind to, but I need to stop doubting myself first. You taught me I need to focus less on the opinion of others and more on my own happiness.

You taught me that friendships have no boundaries, no limits, and the truest ones are there through thick and thin. They can be made bonding over how much you hate that one evil professor when there's five of you crammed into a bathroom drunk at a party just trying to pee, they may be your "sisters", floormates, or just a familiar face in the halls you finally decided to say hi to. No matter how you met, they will be the ones that are there for all the crazy nights, long hours spent in the lib, through all the boy drama, and the girl drama. They will become your family.

You taught me that I am driven, I am worthy, and I am me. You taught me I don't need to change for anyone. I spent high school trying to fit a mold to please anyone I valued. You taught me to value myself and not to conform to anyone else's expectations. Because the best version of myself is the one I made on my own.

You taught me that even though I may feel like a strong independent woman, I will always need my family. Mom will always be there to hear me cry over the phone when life hits me like an oncoming train. Dad will always be there to motivate me and support me even when I don't think I can do it anymore. My brother will always be there to share my crazy stories with and bond over the crazy journey that is college. I may feel like my own adult, but they will always be my backbone.

You taught me to take one day at a time. Life moves too fast to worry about where I'm going to be 3 years from now, where I'm going to settle down, or try to plan out my entire career path. You taught me to live in the now because we aren't guaranteed tomorrow. Because of you, I wake up everyday with a fresh mind ready to take on whatever life may throw me that day and go to bed excited for what it may bring tomorrow.

Most of all, you taught me that college is truly going to be the best 4 years of my life. I'm sad that you and I have to say goodbye, but you have helped shape me into the strong young woman that is going to conquer the next 3 years and many more to come with grace, determination, and resilience.

You may not ever know how much you truly mean to me, but I will always hold you close to my heart. Thank you for all you've taught me.

I'll Miss You...

XoXo,

The Girl You Transformed