Freshman Year: Expectations vs. Reality

Freshman Year: Expectations vs. Reality

24
Freshman Year: Expectations vs. Reality

Ever think back to what you thought your freshman year would be like and think how different your ideas were from the reality of it all? Here's a list of a few of my own skewed perceptions. 

You hear it everywhere as a just-graduated high school senior: “College will be the best four years of your life,” or, “I learned more about myself throughout four years in college than I have in my entire life.” All this hype sparks the imagination to dream up a bunch of scenarios where you’re meeting a group of people that will end up being your lifelong friends or creating a relationship with a professor who will become your mentor and lead you toward your dream job. Though this is definitely the ideal college experience, it’s not always the case. My freshman year at Baylor was definitely one to remember, but my expectations were nearly polar opposites from the reality of it.

Expectation: I will make friends the first week of school
and they will be the ones I hang out with all through college; they’ll probably even be at my wedding.

Reality: It’s actually pretty hard to make friends on the first week of school, given that everyone is trying to adjust to such a different, new, exciting environment. In fact, I didn't make all my great friends until about the second month of school when I was finally getting the hang of things.

Expectation: I will finish all my homework before 10 pm every day. I will also make time every day to get a workout in and maybe even have half an hour to videochat my friends from home before going to bed.

Reality: I totally underestimated the amount of work I would have in one semester. Work that was supposed to take only about an hour or two ended up taking almost an entire day. I was lucky if I had time to get a decent dinner in before 11 pm, and going to bed before 12 am was a miracle.

Expectation: College is difficult, but I definitely have enough practice for the rigorous workload with so many AP classes under my belt. Getting a 4.0 GPA will be a breeze.

Reality: No amount of AP classes in high school could have prepared me for writing ten page term papers or the painful time that is finals week. College exams make high school exams look like pages out of a coloring book. (Okay, maybe that’s an exaggeration, but the point is, college classes are hard.)

Expectation: I will get to know all my sorority sisters within the first week and we’ll all have an instant, effortless connection that will last a lifetime.

Reality: Any girl who has ever joined a sorority knows that making friends right away is just as hard as making friends the first week of school: it’s essentially the same awkward introduction process, except you have that little bit of leverage knowing that they are your sisters. Also, with the 80+ girls that are in a pledge class, it’s usually pretty hard to get to know everyone right away.

Though my expectations from what college would be and the reality of my first year experience don’t necessarily match up, I wouldn’t have had it any other way. My freshman year was a great learning experience, and thought I didn’t make immediate connections with people, I’ve made great friends both within and outside of my sorority nonetheless.

Photo courtesy of redbubble.com