Woah, Freshman Year Of College Is Over

Woah, Freshman Year Of College Is Over

Where has the time gone?

116
Woah, Freshman Year Of College Is Over
Unsplash

Wow.

I’m no longer a college freshman. That sounds weird, doesn’t it?

My nineteenth birthday is also in five days. Okay, I’m totally freaked out.

I’m trying to figure out how I got to this point, but I can’t quite wrap my head around it. I feel like I’m trying to solve some complex physics problem, and I know NOTHING about physics.

I remember the day vividly: September 2, 2017. My mom’s Mazda CX-5 rolled into the Holly Pointe Commons parking lot following an hour and a half trek from Middletown, New Jersey. Looking out the window, I gazed in awe at the architectural masterpiece that was now my home.

As my vision came down to Earth, I observed students roaming excitedly with blissful expressions and radiant benevolence. Eager freshmen mingled with altruistic upper-class volunteers in a scene of visual euphoria.

I still remember that day like it was yesterday.

Fast forward eight months: April 30, 2018. Today I moved out of my dorm, bidding HPC farewell one last time. I spent the entire journey back to Middletown reminiscing on the memories of freshman year.

I’ll be honest. I struggled during my first few months at Rowan.

I grew frustrated with myself when I wasn’t able to immediately discover my niche. I didn’t particularly know what I was looking for, but I persisted. While the fall semester didn’t go as well as I had originally hoped, I remained optimistic.

Then, perhaps the most significant moment of my life arrived: spring semester.

At the beginning of the spring semester, I decided to join the Phi Sigma Pi National Honor Fraternity Eta Mu Chapter. PSP has afforded me the opportunity to get involved with a prominent organization on campus, which has subsequently allowed me to forge relationships with peers to last a lifetime.

I’ve been able to interact with academically and socially progressive students through PSP in order to maximize the potential of not only ourselves but Rowan as a whole.

I’ve also developed into a primary component of Rowan Radio 89.7 WGLS-FM. As the host of “The Music That Matters” on Mondays from 1-3 PM, I’ve improved my public speaking skills by verbally communicating with thousands of listeners, while also entertaining an audience with a variety of rock music ranging from the 1960s to present day.

Phi Sigma Pi and Rowan Radio have truly enriched my experience at Rowan University thus far. I didn’t understand why college received so much hype at first, but my eyes have since been opened to the light.

Looking back, I’m proud of what I accomplished this past year, but not entirely satisfied. I’ve become acclimated to the learning environment that Rowan fosters by balancing scholarly obligations and extracurricular participation.

Although I feel fulfilled, I’m intent on challenging myself further, on setting goals that positively impact the community that has afforded me with personal and professional opportunities alike.

Remember: Idle Hands Are The Devil’s Workshop.

Time flies when you’re having fun AND staying busy. Maybe that’s why freshman year will always be a blur in my mind. Next year, I anticipate having even more fun while staying even busier. I might grow a few extra gray hairs, but it’ll be worth it.

As long as I stay out of trouble.