The Freshman Fifteen Strikes Again

The Freshman Fifteen Strikes Again

Tips and tricks to help avoid the freshman fifteen... or any other weight gain in college for that matter

5
The Freshman Fifteen Strikes Again
tumblr

When going off to college, one of everyone's biggest fears is gaining the horrid freshman fifteen. If you ask the majority of college students today, they would probably say they did gain a little bit of weight in college. That's totally acceptable! However, if you want to avoid gaining about five or 10 of that freshman fifteen, try following the steps below:

1. Eat in moderation

Observe your portion sizes when you go through the cafeteria line. Did you really need all of that pasta when you could have had about half of it and been comfortably full? Go ahead and get McDonalds if that's what you want, just either order a smaller size or don't eat everything they give you. Also, you don't need to follow those fad diets, because all they do is deprive you from what is okay to eat. It's acceptable to have a "cheat meal" every once in a while. Which leads me to my next point...

2. Go ahead and eat that donut or slice of cake

You're only young once. Trust me, that one donut or slice of cake last night won't make you gain 15 pounds. Just cut back a little tomorrow.

3. Try to eat some fruits and vegetables

They make great snacks when you're looking for something to hold you over until dinner. I know the food in the cafeteria looks sketchy sometimes – been there, done that. You usually can't go wrong with the fruit or vegetables when you're scoping out your options for lunch.

4. Hit up the gym a couple times a week

You don't have to be a fitness guru to go to the gym. Even if you walk on the treadmill for 30 minutes, that's awesome! Reward yourself for doing it. If you can't find time to go to the gym, find other ways to move around a bit. Something that worked for me was walking around campus while talking on the phone with my mom. It was a way to get my body moving, while also catching up with what was going on at home.

5. Drink more water

Have you ever eaten and about 15 or 30 minutes later your stomach starts growling? That's probably because you're thirsty. Try drinking more water by replacing soda and other sugary drinks with water. Go ahead and have a Dr. Pepper occasionally, but always work on drinking more water throughout the day.

6. Sleep

I know it's college and this is the one time in your life you can get away with partying all night. However, what do you most likely do the next day? Catch up on your sleep and eat. Try to maintain good sleeping habits – meaning around six to eight hours every night. Yes, it's totally acceptable to have those nights when you stay up and gossip with your friends until 3 in the morning. But the next night, give your body the sleep it didn't get.

7. Be proud that you're trying to be healthy!

Pat yourself on the back for being healthy. It takes a lot of mental discipline to not eat five chocolate cupcakes or to motivate yourself to go to the gym!

I'm no nutritionist, but these really helped me keep a few pounds off. It helps to know that you will only get to go through college once in your life, so make healthy choices; but also know that it's okay to make unhealthy ones every once in a while. We're all going through the same experiences, and we all know what it's like to completely devour a whole cake. Just ask yourself, "Do I really need that whole cake? Or could I get away with one or two slices?"