13 Things You Didn't Know You Needed In College

Outside of the classroom, a few small items can make the dorm room feel like home.

888
flickr

Packing for college can be one of the hardest things you do all summer. Not only do you have to bring everything you need to live (clothes, shoes, hairbrush, toothbrush, maybe food, etc.), but almost always, you forget to pack something in that suitcase.

Whether you pack everything you need or you forget everything on your list, here are some college essentials that I never thought of until I got to college.

1. Pictures

Whether you’re dying to leave home or can’t bear the thought of leaving, having pictures is a wonderful thing to have at college. Pictures of your parents, siblings, friends, pets, experiences are all helpful when you start feeling homesick your second month in. Being able to look back and see all the people who love and support you is definitely a necessity for most people.

2. Twinkle lights

Best. Investment. Of. My. Life.

You can buy party lights for super cheap on Amazon, and I promise you as soon as you set them up and see the colorful lights fill your room, you will feel calm/hyped/happy. Not only does it spice up the usual bleakness of a white-walled dorm room, but it also adds a taste of adventure without actually doing anything besides setting up some colorful lights that move around in your room.

3. Headphones

Whether you need to tap out from listening to your annoying roommate or just need a little music to spice up your life, headphones are an amazing investment and are necessary for any and every occasion.

4. Windex or Clorox Wipes

You have no idea how many times your desk will get dusty; your closet will get dirty; your mirror will get fingerprints all over it -- and when this happens, all you have to do is whip out your handy-dandy Clorox wipes to clean it up. None of the hassle of running to the bathroom, trying to find paper towels and some form of soap or water to clean it up.

5. Medications

Whether it's Tylenol, Nyquil and Dayquil, Sudafed, allergy meds, or simply tums -- they will all be necessary at some point during your college career. Especially during your first year when you're exposed to so many new and exciting viruses and diseases. It's best just to be safe and have your own little stash of medicine for when you'll inevitably need it.

6. Way more underwear and socks than you think

There will be a time in your college career where all you will want to do is sleep instead of doing your laundry. Maybe someday down the line, you'll be so engulfed in homework and essays and midterms that you'll have absolutely no time to do your laundry. Maybe you run out of quarters and can't find any way to pay the washing machine. Have no fear - extra underwear and socks are here to the rescue!

7. Stapler

I am one of the few people in my sorority who brought a stapler to school, and I get asked on the daily if someone can use it. I can promise you that you'll need a stapler at some point down the line, and honestly, it's just nice to have one for any occasion that might occur in the future.

8. Tablet

For months, I considered getting a tablet because I saw so any people around campus taking notes with them -- and after getting one for Christmas, I can honestly say that it has changed my life. Not only can I take notes on it, I can record lectures over my notes, so if I miss something and the lecture's not recorded already, I can listen over if I missed anything.

Also, it saves on all the paper I would've otherwise used for notes, and instead of just recycling it at the end of the quarter, I can simply delete it or save it for a rainy day later on.

9. Keurig

It is unbelievable how many people need coffee to survive college. With all of the 8:30s and the late nights, coffee is definitely a college necessity.

Though I don't have one, a number of my friends have a Keurig, and it is apparent how much it's changed their lives. Not only do they not need to walk all the way downstairs to get cheap coffee, or walk to the closest Starbucks in the morning. They will literally turn the Keurig on in the morning and have a cup of coffee ready for them when they're out of the shower. It's quick and easy and a necessity if you need your coffee fix!

10. Tissues

Through illness, heartbreak, and when you just couldn't do well enough on your biology exam -- tissues will be there for you through it all. Plus a quick box ready for you on your desk or by your bed is helpful for all those days when you really don't feel like walking all the way to the bathroom for some paper towels/toilet paper.

11. ID Holder For Your Phone

The ID holder on the back of my phone has saved my life a number of times. It's handy for holding my student ID, which I pretty much need anytime I go somewhere with student discounts or even some parties require them. It's also useful for going out in general, whether you're going to the clubs or a frat party since you all you have to worry about is your phone and you know that all you need is simply with your phone.

12. Really soft blanket

Really soft blankets are the comfort of college. When you're studying, they're amazing to just cuddle up with with a nice cup of coffee or tea. Trust me when I say you will not regret getting a super soft blanket for college. Cuddling up with it when you're sick is so much more comforting than just bundling up in sweatshirts and sweatpants. When you're homesick, maybe even try spraying it with a scent that makes you think of home.

13. Coloring book

When in doubt, sometimes all you need is to just relax and have a little "me time". College can drain you. Having to talk with professors, roommates, coworkers all of the time can take a lot out of you - especially my fellow introverts out there who thrive on a little bit of alone time. When you have a coloring book, it's kind of like a visual headphone because it will block the world from you view as you focus on filling in the lines.