Free College For All?

Free College For All?

New York has come first, are other states to follow?

2
Free College For All?
You University TV

There are facts of life that everyone knows to be true. We need air to breath, food and water to survive, and college is outrageously expensive.

From tuition, to fees, to books, and don't even get me started on parking, food, and housing.

But wait there's good news for New Yorker resident college students!

New York state has officially has made tuition to state schools free for families who earn under $100,000 a year and who stay living in the state for a few years after. Yes a variation of the same thing happened in San Fransisco, California, but New York is the first state to accomplish this.

First of all I have to say congratulations to college students that meet this criteria. That is an incredible thing to have at least a portion of that stress of college debt lessened. College debt is a troubling and stressful thing that almost every college student faces.

But now the question remains, will this soon be happening to other states?

I for one am 100% for free tuition, at least for state schools. Higher education is ridiculously expensive and I believe it is unfair. Education is a beautiful and vital thing and to deny that to someone only because they cannot afford it is horrible. Yes there are scholarships, grants, and awards, but sometimes those are not simply enough. Many people don't earn scholarships or grants, and taking out loans are extremely stressful.

In this day and age it is nearly impossible to get a good job without a college education, but how can we possibly get that degree if we cannot afford it?

How can we try different classes and be free to choose our own path if we cannot even get to go to college to try them out?

Now I'm not naive, I know that colleges are billion dollar businesses, but some things are worth more than money. Letting people find their passion, gain knowledge and experience is priceless.

It is possible to let college prices down, and it needs to be done. No one should be scared to go to college because of the debt they will have if they do go.

But New York is the light of hope that I have been hoping for. Maybe this will start a chain reaction and lead a string of other states or cities to start lowering or erasing tuition prices.

There is hope, and New York is the start of it.

One state down, 49 to go.