I'm An English Major, I Do Not Know What My Future Career Will Be, And That's OK With Me

If I can spend the rest of my life doing what I love, I'll be happy.

118
Instagram

As finals week was approaching, I took almost every free opportunity to do some sort of productive school work. This led to people asking me what I was doing. When I told them homework, they would give me the I remember that face. They would then ask me what I was studying. This is not a dreaded question, per se, but I do know what facial reaction I tend to get when I tell them.

"English."

They scrunch their nose like I just offered them a piece of fish that is a couple days past its prime.

Why English? Are you wanting to be an English teacher?

I tell them I don’t want to be an English teacher, and they just stand there like I am crazy.

This is not the interaction I have every time I talk about my degree plans, but it occurs enough that it has become the general reaction in my mind. I get it, though. I used to think that if you’re not going to be a teacher and you’re not trying to be a fancy full-time writer, then how are you going to make a living off of an English degree?

Turns out, there are so many things that English majors can do.

Of course, you have your teachers and writers, but there are also jobs in journalism, publishing, advertising, copywriting, the list really does go on and on. Ironically enough, the list is so long and there is so much one could possibly do with this degree that I have no idea what the heck I am going to do after college.

This might not be a big deal for an incoming freshman, but if you only have a year left in school and you still can’t give a straight and clear answer to the question of, what are you looking to do after college, then you might feel a little overwhelmed. It is kind of like the cozy walls of college are closing in on you. Well, I used to feel like that, but I don’t anymore.

I know what I enjoy doing is writing and reading.

Whether that is writing and reading my own stuff or reading and helping someone else write or maybe just proofreading for someone else entirely. I am interested in the creation of words and sentences and how those words and sentences connect with people.

Maybe this interest gets me to write the great American Novel, or maybe I’ll just write advertisements for companies. When I previously mentioned that people should do what they love and love what they do, that wasn’t just for making cupcakes. That should be a mantra of life. Maybe I don’t know exactly what career I want after college, but I know what I would love spending the rest of my life doing.

That should help me find a job somehow… right?