If You Aren't Ready For A Four-Year University, Don't Go

People don't tell you how overwhelming it is.

47
Amelia Thomas

I started off at a four year university and don't get me wrong, I have loved almost every second of it. It has helped me grow in so many ways and opened more doors than I could have ever hoped for. But, what people don't tell you is that going to a school like this is draining.

It is hard to get involved. There are so many options, but it's just hard. Once you get into one organization it's pretty easy to get into others, but first you have to choose which one you want to commit to. There's a 50-50 chance you'll get it, but a lot of times you won't especially if you don't have experience or if you don't know one already in the organization.

Keeping up with course work is difficult. I never went to a junior college except for my few online classes over the summers, so I can't speak much on this but what I do know is that big schools equal big classes equal big workloads. It's hard to stay focused in classes because there's just other stuff going on.

Most professors are there for you, but the few that aren't really aren't. I got lucky and went to a four-year university that prides itself on the quality of professors that has, but if you don't reach out to them they will not reach out to you. I have a few professors who I may see in Walmart and they'd have no idea who I was even though my class had 40 students in it, but at the same time, I have professors who would welcome me into their home if I ever needed it.

There aren't many people cheering you on. Four-year universities tend to be bigger and with that comes a whole lot of students who are just like you in every single way and because of that, they aren't going to cheer you on. It's not that your peers don't want you to succeed, they do, but if it comes between you and then they'll do anything to tear you down.

People want four-year universities for all they have to offer, but you have to pay a very large price, literally and figuratively, to get the rewards of a four-year university. You have to take the time to invest in it in order for it to invest in you. You have to work extra hard in every aspect and cut corners if needed because getting ahead is not an easy road to take.