4 Sure-Fire Ways To Re-Find Yourself In The New Year

It's not too late to get back to the old you!
172

It's that time of year again... The holidays are coming to a close, decorations are being torn down, and we're staring at the face of a long winter that's only just begun. It can be effortless to fall into a funk where you just don't feel much like yourself, and nothing's more frustrating than being mentally disconnected and emotionally checked-out, especially as we embrace the new year!

Here are four sure-fire ways to get back to your old self and make 2018 your best year yet!

1. Log off of social media/get offline

One of the best ways to reclaim your old self is to take a step back from the little screen in your hand every now and then. Studies show that Americans spend 10 hours a day just staring at screens. That means we are spending 41% of our day, constantly consuming media, posting on social media platforms, and aimlessly scrolling through pages and pages of content that may not even be relevant to us. That's not to say that the internet can't be an extremely valuable tool in aiding education and communication, I just think it's important to take into consideration that maybe the constant assessment and comparison of whose profile has the most followers, who takes the best pictures, and who gets the most likes gets to our heads after a while. Give your brain a breather and log off!

2. Spend time with people you can be yourself around

It's easy to lose sight of who you really are when you're constantly wearing a mask for other people. If you feel like you need a reset, perhaps surround yourself with people who make you feel like the most organic version of yourself. Go home, get back to your roots, get lunch with your mom, and take a step back. You may be frazzled and out of sorts, but spending time with the right people could be enough to bring you back down to earth and make you feel like yourself again!

3. Spend some time alone

Though spending time with close family and friends could help pull you out of your slump, spending time alone can be just as beneficial. Spend a day devoted to yourself entirely. Put your phone away and get back to the basics. Exercise. Go for a drive. Buy yourself a new outfit. Do whatever you have to do to feel like yourself! Reflect on your current issues and worries and know that you're in complete control of your own life. Remember that you don't have to be anyone but yourself when you're alone. Sometimes a little time alone is exactly what's need to put your head in the right spot.

4. Take a walk down memory lane

What better way to reconnect with your old self than to reminisce on things and times that remind you of the person you want to be. Try going through some old photo albums, listening to your old favorite songs, or watching your favorite movie from your childhood. You'll find that reflecting on old memories can ignite a desire to go back and claim your true self. Remember that everyone falls into a slump every now and then, just be patient with yourself and always put your mental health first.