The Top 4 Questions My Twin Sister and I Get

The Top 4 Questions My Fraternal Twin And I Receive

The top four funniest questions my family and I have received about me and my sister being fraternal twins.

352
Jessica Heady

I am a twin, a fraternal twin to be more specific. Meaning, in basic terms, my twin sister and I do not look alike. However, there are times where that concept confuses people. So, sometimes we get the strangest questions, but it's okay, we get it. We barely look like sisters, but please trust us when we tell you we're twins. Here are my all-time favorite questions we receive.

1. "Are you two really sisters/twins?"

I am not sure why, but the most common question Jodi, my twin sister, and I get questions our legitimacy on being twins. Jodi and I don't go around just telling people we are twins, but when the topic comes up, we always get this question. It is as if people think we are lying or they don't believe us. Jodi and I always get a laugh out of this one, though.

To answer it: yes. We really are twins.

2. "You're not identical, right?"

This is the second most asked question. This question honestly just baffles me because the conversation usually goes: "We're twins." They reply with, "Cool. Not identical though, right?"

Correct because we do not look alike at all. Like I get it; thanks to the Olsen twins, identical twins are more well-known, but that doesn't mean all twins are identical. Believe it or not, fraternal twins are more common than identical.

3. "Are they both yours?"

This question will always crack me up! Sadly, I have no memory of this because it happened to me and my sister when we were babies. One day, my mother was approached by a very nice woman; she was telling my mother how adorable we are, but that sincere moment went south real quick when she asked my mom if we were both hers.

Wait, what?

The woman quickly realized the question she asked and got super embarrassed, but my mom, being the saint that she is, did not even bat an eye. She simply smiled and said yes. But to this very day, we laugh and tell this story as if our life depends on it. It is just so funny!

4. "So, you have the same birthday?"

Finally, this question will always be the BEST question we receive. It makes me and Jodi crack up every time! I understand that there are rare moments when one twin is born at 11:59 P.M. and the other is born the next day at 12:02 A.M. Therefore, they have different birthdays. Yes, there are even more rare events of twins being born in different years!

But that is so rare; the majority of twins have the same birthday! I don't know if people ask this question because they don't know what else to say or because they genuinely want to know. But, yes, we do have the same birthday. It's February 5th (just in case anyone wants to, I don't know, wish us a happy birthday).