4 Must-Listen Podcasts To Add To Your Playlist

The happy medium between reading and binge watching Netflix.

268
Unsplash--@hyingchou

As an out of state college student that lives about 7 1/2 hours from home, I've learned I have to get adventurous when it comes to keeping myself entertained.

The drive from Springfield, Missouri to Altus, Oklahoma is boring (to say the least). I love music as much as the next person, but I can only listen to Hamilton, Guns N' Roses, and REO Speedwagon so many times before I give up. I'm a fan of reading, but just like both my inability (and refusal) to read off of a Kindle, I cannot listen to audiobooks; alas, I have managed to find a happy medium.

Yes, podcasts--they are the holy grail of drawn-out road trips; but wait, they are diverse. Podcast listening is not limited to the hellish drive I face every holiday, no. Podcasts are good for showers, downtime, walking to class, ignoring strangers who try to talk to you unwelcomed. While this passion of mine is relatively new, I have compiled a list of four podcasts that I believe are must listens:

Crash On My Couch

I was a little biased towards this one from the beginning, seeing as it is written by my favorite (and only watched) YouTuber. Arden Rose and her boyfriend, Will Derbyshire, have concocted a podcast both zany and delightful. It is the, "One stop, pit stop of the internet."

With segments like, "Go Science!" "Conspiracy Camp," and "Yarr, Let's Go On A Treasure Hunt!" you'll not be wont of quality information and entertainment. This podcast, along with being quirky, is factual and informative. Arden and Will know how to put a real spin on their content, while still remaining organized.

Lore

Guys, listen. I am horror buff and your regular ole' adrenaline junkie. Anything with a thrill is my kind of thing. Lore popped up as a "what's hot" when I first began this escapade into podcast listening and it is STELLAR.

Hosted by Aaron Mahnke, this podcast delves into the origins of modern-day superstition and horror. It has everything from serial killers to vampires to faeries to scary monuments in the woods of Washington State. Aaron Mahnke is a well-researched and eloquent speaker.

Lore was also just made into an Amazon series (which I haven't had the time to check out yet, but really want to). I never find myself bored when I listen to his content, which is saying a lot considering it's not any form of comedy or banter.

How I Built This with Guy Raz

When we think of the CEOs, the brains behind the business, we tend to think of those who are already elite. They are the upper class, worth millions of dollars, walking through life unscathed by hardship and failure. Wrong.

This podcast is a series of interviews with the founders and CEOs of companies like Kendra Scott, Bumble, Instagram, and Patagonia. Guy Raz evaluates the often, "rags to riches" stories of these multi-millionaires.

We get an honest look at the hard work, and yes, failure, on their journey to the top. Not only is this podcast fascinating, it's honestly inspiring to those of us wishing to be up there one day. It gave an honest realization that in the end, we're all just human.

Terrible, (Thanks For Asking)

Hosted by author Nora Mclnerny, this podcast provides an honest, and sometimes, heartbreaking look at the lives of everyday people.

With honesty, light-heartedness, and a tendency for deadpan humor, Mclnerny talks us through the "funny/sad/uncomfortable" that is simply being human. I don't have much to say for this one other than it's brilliant and honest take on what it's like to live on this planet as we try to survive, whatever that may look like.

This journey to podcast-ism(?) had been enthralling, informative, entertaining, and sometimes heartbreaking. I'm hooked. I am a storyteller, and I immensely enjoy getting to hear others tell their stories.

The way in which we speak and communicate is like a fingerprint--it's unique to the individual. I mostly use the podcast app that comes standard with an iPhone, but Spotify also has a large range of podcasts (of which I am planning to delve into soon), so keep posted for more articles like this.

Oh, and right now I'm listening to Rotated Views and I am digging it so far! In closing, chase laughter, breathe easy, and enjoy listening!