I Found Myself When I Lost You

I Found Myself When I Lost You

Finding yourself after a breakup.

662
I Found Myself When I Lost You

Love is such a powerful word, to some it may mean that you would be willing to lay your life down for someone, to others to may mean that you would give up everything that ever meant anything to you for the greater good and that greater good is that love you share and have for that person. Love is such an amazing concept and the most powerful thing in the world in my opinion. It will also make you do some stupid things but it can also make you do some incredible things in life.

Growing up my favorite television show was ABC's Boy Meets World, the show taught me some of life's most valuable lessons. Two of those lessons really stick out to me at the point I am in life at this moment. *SPOILER ALERT* if you've never seen these two episodes or if you've been living under a rock for the past 24 years. Do yourself a favor and watch this amazing show. So lets get started!

The first lesson was about love and what it now means to me. In the first part of this two part episode Topanga shares news that her and her family are moving to Pittsburgh and she has to leave Cory behind, which is hard for both of them as they try to figure the long distance dating out. In the second part of the episode, Topanga shows up at Cory's kitchen door in the pouring rain, sharing the news that she had ran away from her family in Pittsburgh to be with her love, Cory.

Cory's mother asks him what love means to him and how he knows he loves Topanga. "She always was talking about these crazy things, and I never understood a word she said. All I understood was that she was the girl I sat up every night thinking about, and when I'm with her I feel happy to be alive, like I can do anything." Cory goes on to say that's what he thinks love is. "When I'm better because she's here."

That episode showed me how important love was to help you grow in life and how crazy it can be at times especially when the other person reciprocates that same emotions as you do when sharing love.

The second lesson I learned was about a tough breakup, when I first saw this episode I must have been fourteen years old so the lesson wouldn't hit me in the "feelings" until many years later. In the episodes leading up to this particular episode Cory and Topanga had broken up because of another girl that Cory had been talking to during a school trip to a ski lodge. Cory and Shawn end up going to a party and getting drunk.

The two get arrested that night and Cory's dad picks them both up from the Police Station and assumes that Shawn was the one who got Cory drunk, as Shawn heads for the door after Cory's dad tells the two that they need a break from each other. Cory shares his thoughts about the night and his breakup with Topanga. "You know I just broke up with someone that I've spent my entire life with. I don't have a heart anymore. I've lost my life. So I went up to your liquor cabinet and I took a bottle of whiskey, and I made Shawn drink, because I didn't want to be alone."

That part of the episode spoke measures to me after I knew what it truly meant to lose a love that I thought was the real deal. I tried to hind behind the pain with drinking just like Cory did but I noticed that all that did was numb the pain for a little while, it never truly made it go away. Time heals that pain from my experience

As most of you know, this show is completely fictional but the life lessons brought into this show have helped me through some of my darkest days. Sometimes in life we love and lose, and when we lose, we lose ourselves because that love was the only thing keeping us together. Then, you wake up one day and you don't have that love anymore, and you realize you're alone.

Thank you for the memories, thank you for the laughs, thank you for the hurt because I know all the pain had a purpose and it is all leading me to my future. I found myself when I lost you.

If you're struggling with something in life whether it's a relationship, self-worth, a breakup or anything it may be. I want you to know that you're beautiful, special, unique, and one of a kind, you're strong and you will get through this, I'm living proof. Brighter days are ahead

Don't lose hope. You are Loved.

Your Life Has Value