A Timeline Of Formal, As Told By Mean Girls

The inside scoop on the fetchest night of the year.
54

It's officially spring, and that means one thing: it's time for formal. In a sorority girl's world, formal is one of the most significant, if not the most significant event of the year in Greek life. Finding a date, getting the perfect dress, and planning the perfect night with your sisters are all parts of ensuring you have the best formal. That being said, here's an account of formal as told by "Mean Girls."

1. When you ask a guy to go, and he says yes.

Unofficially the hardest part of formal to handle. No matter how many times I've done it, asking a guy to a function is still really hard and anxiety-provoking.

2. Going dress shopping with your sisters.

One of the best parts! You get to shop till you drop, finding the perfect dress, shoes and accessories. It's all great until you look at the price tag and realize you'll probably just end up borrowing a dress again... #brokegirlprobs.

3. Finding your dream dress, but the store doesn't have it in your size.

Just rip my heart out and tear it to pieces while you're at it.

4. Trying to go on a diet a week or two before.

You're going to eat healthy, go to the gym once a day, and cut down on your drinking. It's a great, well-thought out plan--just one that usually doesn't go into action.

5. Realizing the diet is a lost cause since you have no self-control.

If you go out on a Friday night and don't go to Cookout at the end, did you even go out? Gotta have that 2:00 a.m. fix.

6. Stalking the Google Docs date list and realizing your sister is bringing your ex.

Clearly someone never taught her the "sisters before misters" rule. Can you send her to standards for that?

7. Having a risk-management presentation at the Chapter before formal.

You know what they say--one drop of alcohol and you'll end up in the hospital. Don't do it. Using a fake? You'll get caught, go to jail, never get a job ever again. FELON.

8. Trying to get ready the day of.

You have the perfect, zen formal prep day plan. You start at 3pm to ensure you'll look fabulous in time for the event. But for some reason, of course, your hair isn't staying the way you want it to, your eyeliner is uneven and your dress seems to fit tighter than usual... WHY do bad things happen to good people?!

9. Agreeing to host a "small" pregame at your place.

Your friends said they were just going to invite their fams, that's all! How big can it get? Next thing you know the entire chapter is at your house and you're praying that security won't give you a noise violation ticket.

10. When you get to the house and a sober monitor asks if you've been drinking.

Who, me?? Violate our code of ethics and standards?? Never.

11. An exec member taps out that one sister who has had a little too much...

There's always that one.. The limit to her drinking? Does not exist. The limit to what her body can handle? Definitely passed it.

12. Getting your groove on at the venue.

Not to brag, but you're kind of an great dancer. The reason there's a 5 foot radius around your dance zone is because everyone is intimidated by your awesomeness.

13. Responding to the weird looks you're getting on the dance floor.

Hater's gonna hate, hate, hate, hate, hate...but you'll just ~shake it off~

14. Exec members attempting to stop dates from buying underage girls drinks.

You know that feeling you get when you're speeding on the highway looking out for cops? That's pretty much the same situation - the underage girls drinking are the targets, and exec is police. You know they have good intentions at heart, but what's life without a little risk?

15. That one senior who gets overemotional about her last formal.

The drunk, crying senior is a classic for every function. Each chapter has one of these, and while you guys know she's a sweet, loving person, you just wish she'd leave the waterworks at home.

16. Having a great night with your date.

In the end, all the planning, stress and tears paid off. You had a great night, awesome date and lots of memories to treasure. You've already set a countdown on your phone for next year's formal, since you can't wait to do it all again.