4 Things You Need To Forgive Yourself For In 2021

How can you forgive other people but not yourself?

61
girl in flower field
Photo by Huyen Pham on Unsplash

Everyone on the planet has regrets and has made mistakes. Often, people do not realize that a lot of pain in their lives comes from the anger and resentment they have for themselves. As we continue to go through this year, learn to let go of the mistakes you have made and the things you didn't say. Here are a few things that you may not even realize you need to forgive yourself for.

1. Forgive yourself for the way you have treated your body.

We all are victims to social media and the idea that there is a "perfect body." As a result, many often feel guilty for eating or won't eat at all. It is time you realized that your life is not determined by the amount of fat on your body or the figure that you wish you had. Forgive yourself for the self-criticism and the abuse you have put your body through.

2. Forgive yourself for not meeting the expectations you have set for yourself.

If you are like me, you have grand expectations for yourself and for your life. However, no one is perfect, and often, we will not meet our expectations we have set for ourselves. This may be due to procrastination or laziness and is often a source of regret. It is important to not live a life of regret. Remember - not meeting your own expectations does not mean your life is over. Rather, it should be seen as motivation to continue to do better.

3. Forgive yourself for your past (and future) mistakes.

We all have made mistakes. Maybe you took a risk that you shouldn't have or failed to do something important in your life. Rather than let your mistakes fester into lifelong regret, let it go. Allow yourself to be free from all the hurt and unease, and live in the present, take in all the good things in your life.

4. Forgive yourself for the things you never got to say.

Maybe you never got to say "goodbye" or "I love you." Perhaps you did not pick up the phone when you should have. Rather than allow yourself to replay your regrets, learn to live and speak with intention. Pick up the phone, call people, and express what you feel. Learn from the mistakes you have made.

Overall, allow yourself to let go of all the pain, resentment, and anger that you feel towards yourself. Allow the wounds to heal and choose happiness and self-love. If you are not your biggest cheerleader, who will be?