Learning To Forgive AND Forget

Learning To Forgive AND Forget

It's really easy to hold grudges against people. It's easy to stay mad. It's easy to say "you live and learn" but is this learning allowing you to grow?

Brittany Greve
29

The saying "forgive and forget" has slowly turned into "forgive but never forget." I must say I seriously disagree with this idea. What's the point in forgiving someone for what they've done if you're never going to let them live it down? Not to mention drag out this wrongfulness that's been done to you with all of your further decisions and relationships.

To forgive and forget takes a special kind of person. It takes someone who's willing to feel vulnerable again. Someone who's willing to take chances. Someone who's willing to open up their heart although it could get hurt. If you're not this kind of person, imagine everything you're missing out on just because you're afraid to fall. You're afraid to get hurt. You're afraid the past will repeat itself.

But think of it this way, if you give it a chance, something fantastic could happen. Something you never knew would come your way. Even if things don't go your way, you've already done this before. You know how to pick yourself back up. You are in complete control of your life. Don't allow things that have been done to you in the past determine your future or you'll be missing out on so much potential.

We also need to keep in mind sometimes people make mistakes. Sometimes people deserve second chances. Sometimes, you just have to take a chance on what could be. It's so easy to get caught up in our thoughts, in the right and wrong, yes and no. But there is grey area in life. You cannot base how you treat others on how they've treated you.

Now, here's why you should always treat others better than they've treated you. Do you really want to give them the power to say you are a mean, nasty, and spiteful person? We cannot take back the words we say, we cannot change the actions we've done. Is it worth living with the regret? You never know what the future will hold. If you're anything like me you definitely believe in karma, and guess what, it works both ways. If you're a positive, kind hearted person you should get good karma. However, negative attitudes and bad actions will receive bad karma.

It's really easy to hold grudges against people. It's easy to stay mad. It's easy to say, "You live and learn." But is this learning allowing you to grow? Are you becoming the best version of yourself by forgiving but not forgetting? If you forgive and forget, but take the lesson away with you then your soul will feel free. It's unhealthy for your soul, body and mind to hold this anger inside by not forgetting it. Do not be permanently guarded because of one person's mistake.

You should always forgive and forget to free yourself from this negative mindset. What good will it bring you to spend your entire life with a wall up? Don't be afraid to be naive. Don't be afraid to be vulnerable. Don't be afraid to live your life to the fullest, everyday, no matter how risky it may be. People need to take back the power to be strong, independent, and happy without being worrisome of the "what if's" or the "could have beens." Just live life to the fullest. Stop allowing the actions of others to impact yours. Be forgiving. Be loving. Be free.

Life is nothing more than a variety of opportunities laid out before you. You have the choice to pick the ones you want. If you spend your time living in constant fear, you will not take the opportunities that will bring you the greatest happiness. The most love. The most potential to be in utopia.

Live gracefully. Live happily. Life beautifully.