Addressing Misconceptions About The Ford-Kavanaugh Hearings
Education

The Senate's decision on this issue will send a strong message about our government's view of potential candidates and sexual assault survivors.

102

The Ford and Kavanaugh hearings have been widely publicized from the beginning, making the case itself especially vulnerable. Had Ford's letter been addressed promptly and discreetly, perhaps the facts would be a bit clearer. Yet this does not mean Ford's accusations are unfounded.

Believe Facts, Not Women

The statement "believe facts, not women" represents a dangerous dichotomy. Those who believe Christine Blasey Ford's accusations are not dismissing the importance of sound legal procedure. They are not asking senators to ignore evidence and rule in favor of Ford based purely on the fact that she is a woman. Rather, they are validating her experiences and acknowledging her bravery for coming forward in a time when many women have faced dismissal or ridicule—even when there was an indisputable amount of evidence. And Ford's statements are not without evidence. False accusations of sexual assault are extremely rare, and picking apart an account based on the fact that there are gaps in the story proves nothing. When it comes to traumatic experiences, our minds are prone to emphasizing and deemphasizing particular details. As a professor of psychology, Ford knows this better than anyone else. Additionally, it is redundant to say that one should consider the facts in a court hearing—its entire purpose is to hear statements from both sides and make a decision based on the non-biased facts presented. Supporters of Ford understand this but want to ensure that the trend of mishandling sexual abuse cases does not continue.

The Weaponization of Victimhood

Those who point to this phrase in their defense of Judge Kavanaugh are once again tearing down what little power assault survivors might have. Bringing attention to the fact that you are a victim is not a call for pity or a tool being used to bash the opposing political party; it is simply alerting the public to injustice in the hopes that other survivors will be empowered to speak out, and that those who are in position of power will consider their story with sincerity and respect. Perhaps a more accurate phrase would be "the victimization of womanhood."

It's Not Valid Without Witnesses

With the majority of sexual assault cases, there are no witnesses. This is understandable considering the nature of the offense. However, just because there is not a physical witness, doesn't mean nothing happened. Requiring witnesses for a case to be considered valid leads to its perfunctory dismissal without the consideration of other types of evidence, the victim's reasons for coming forward, and the credibility of their testimony.

This Is A Political Ploy By The Democrats

c1.staticflickr.com

Most members of the Democratic Party have been backing the #MeToo movement from the very beginning. Why then, would it be logical to conclude that the only reason for Ford's coming forward is to keep Kavanaugh out of the Supreme Court to further the Democratic agenda? Indeed Kavanaugh is not a favorite among the Democrats, but the support of Ford is in response to the struggles women face with sexual harassment, not an attempt to override the Supreme Court's partisan standing. Coming forward was Ford's own decision.

How Can One Be Judged By Foolish Decisions Made Years Ago?

The answer here is simple. While I do believe all men should be held accountable for their actions toward women, I understand that humans are not without fault. However, there is a degree to which past actions might be dismissed or reevaluated.

First: I'll admit that incidents in which someone has grazed a backside or placed a hand on a thigh (neither of which is okay without direct consent) may not be grounds enough to warrant testimony against a Supreme Court nominee. Yet, the incident detailed by Ford goes beyond the level to which one can blame young foolishness or poor decision making. Whether under the influence of alcohol or not, such an assault cannot be brushed off with an excuse.

Second: Say the assault to which Ford refers was just a hand on a thigh—the accused is being considered for an important authoritative position in our nation. Here the standards for conduct are much higher. Any unwanted touch or advance by any person should always properly addressed, but when this person has the potential to cast their own vote in similar and equally consequential cases, it becomes imperative that the issue is addressed.

We have yet to see the outcome of this hearing in regards to Kavanaugh's confirmation. The story continues to evolve as more evidence is gathered and new witnesses come forward. Kavanaugh's honesty has come into question as acquaintances speak out, while some insist this still is not evidenced enough for dismissal from a court position. What we do know is that the Senate's decision on this issue will send a strong message about our government's view of potential candidates and sexual assault survivors.