For The Girl Who Thought She Had Her Whole Life Planned Out

I hate to break it to you, but plans change.

107

For years, I was the kind of girl who had it all figured out. I knew where I wanted to go to college, what I was going to major in, where I wanted to live, etc. I even knew what I wanted to name my kids, what I wanted to name my dogs, and I had a good idea about who was going to be standing by me through all of it.

But funny how that really isn’t the case.

You see, I was the kind of girl who knew what she wanted and how to get there. However, life happens between all of these stops on my journey through life. Road blocks happen.

The people you thought would be around forever seem to forget that you exist.

Your classes are harder than God knows what and you begin to question whether or not you really want to study that.

You begin to understand that money does not grow on trees and that you have to have a job and that you have to work to make money.

You learn that everything in life is not handed to you, that you are going to have to work at it.

For me, everything was always concrete. That’s how I liked it. I had a place for everything, I had my priorities straight. I had my end goal and I was going to do everything I could to get there, but get there fast.

Life doesn’t always happen the way you want it to. The boy you thought you were going to marry might not be the one for you. The friends that you thought were going to be the ones standing next to you on your wedding day, might just be the friends in pictures that aren’t your true friends anymore. The career path that you had for yourself might not be the correct one.

We all have to go through detours in life. I mean if we didn’t, we really would be living one hell of a boring life. We have to try new things and accept that even though we thought our life was going to be one way, it might not always work out that way.

I get where you are coming from, trust me. I thought I had my life all planned out too. But you know what? I have learned to be okay with the uncertainty and maybe, just maybe, my life will get back on the track I always had for it.