For People Who Want The Year To End

For People Who Want The Year To End

Here's some motivation to finish the school year strong
24

To somebody who wants the year to end already,

Here at the University of Washington, we have two more weeks until the quarter ends. Even there, some people have finals and have to pack up for the summer. For some other universities, the school year is already over because it’s on the semester system.

Before you stack up a petition to change UW’s calendar to the semester system, no matter how tempting that prospect can become, look at your calendars and your plans.

First of all, summer is on the way, and that means you are one step closer to graduation, the real world, or doing something worthwhile. At the same time, one will have to consider how ambiguous summer is. Even when one has a job or classes to take, a whole vacuum of time exists to have fun or to visit other people from the past. Unfortunately, it also means the future will continue to nudge closer, and the cycle continues. However, it also means a bunch.

Also, have you looked around lately and seen the people laughing and enjoying themselves? If you have a roommate, whether in a dorm or in an apartment, have you interacted with them over the past year? I personally have, and she is awesome and is going to do great things in the future. Have you met any new people? I have done so as well, and they’ve provided new perspectives on the world, ranging from small quirks to differences in policy.

How about the good things that happened this year? For those who ended up getting in the major of their dreams, congratulations! I remember when I received the e-mail from the International Studies, I knew I was going to do something with myself. However, I also felt a little bit frightened because, in my mind, I also prepared for what would happen if I didn’t get into the major.

For those who didn’t get into their major, I’m sorry. However, go within yourself to find out why, and then go ahead. As the cliché goes, college is meant for exploration…or you can persist and try to go for the major again.

Have you done anything interesting, for example, study abroad or did research? I’ve seen some of the art history exhibits at Odegaard Library recently, and they were really good. Maybe one day you can check it out or find something for yourself. I’ve been thinking about it, but I’m not sure where I would be interested in. For those who haven’t, good luck to you too!

And for all of us, we know that the number of days like these will decrease; for some, they may not go to graduate school and head over to the work force instead, therefore nullifying summer vacation forever. But if we choose the right classes, the right majors, and the right mindset to pursue them, then every year has something to offer and we wouldn’t want it all to end.

Good luck to all, and I hope you manage to see the good in it.

Sincerely,

Someone who needs as much motivation as you do.