For My Lorelai Gilmore

For My Lorelai Gilmore

An appreciation post from your Rory Gilmore.

14
For My Lorelai Gilmore
Bustle

I’ve always wondered why it was “weird” or “uncool” to be close with your parents. They raised you. They gave you life. They love you unconditionally. They’d do anything for you. Why wouldn’t you want to be close with them? Growing up we had a strict open door policy at our house, meaning our front door. We always welcomed any and everyone over. There was almost never a time we didn’t have people over. I admired my parents for that. My friends felt more comfortable at my home rather than their own. During a slumber party, after my dad had brought some freshly baked cookies into the room, one of my closest friends turns to me and says, “do you think your family will adopt me? I feel more love in this house than my own.” My heart dropped into my stomach. We were only 10 years old, and my best friend just told me that she’d rather live with me than her own family. I told my dad the next morning after breakfast and everyone’s parents had picked them up, and I could see the sorrow in his eyes, but I could tell it made him more emotional knowing my friends feel comfortable around us and he felt accomplished. Not a day goes by where I don’t miss him. His humor, his cooking and baking, his creativity, and lame dad jokes, but I still have another best friend, and that’s my mom.

I wasn't always best friends with my mom, but I've never been happier since we've gotten so close. It seemed like it happened over night sometime after my dad passed away in 2011. I had never felt so comfortable talking to her about almost anything before, and I'm so happy that I'm not scared of her or her judgement, because at the end of the day she's still my mom and she kind of has to still love me. I could tell her things I was embarrassed or ashamed of and she would just laugh and say, “OK, just don’t do it again.” Now that I’m working my way into my 20s, she’s my go-to for all of those annoying adult questions and I’m just thankful she’s always there for me.

I even asked my closest friends (who I know have special bonds with their mommas) what makes their relationship with their mom so strong, and most of our answers were the same: "we're basically the same person and we're all honest with each other." As we went on with the discussion, we all agreed that in your 20s, having your mom by your side is the major key to success. Don’t take your mom's advice for granted, or when she scolds you for not making that credit card payment on time. It’s all out of love and she only wants what’s best for you. You have to remember, she was your age before and knows the do’s and don’ts, she doesn’t want you to make the same mistakes she may have made.

Almost every day, someone brings up to mine or my mom’s attention how great our bond is. Do you have any idea how it feels when someone else notices how close you two are? It’s an incredible feeling. I love my mom so much. I appreciate every little thing she’s done for me, whether it was teaching me how to do a load of laundry or file my taxes. She’s a rockstar, and I’m the luckiest person in the world.