The Addition Of Football Takes Alvernia University By Storm

It's already the talk of the campus, and it hasn't even begun yet!

23
Alvernia University Press Release

As most of the Alvernia University community is already aware, it was announced in Fall of this academic year that the school would be introducing a football team for the first time. Though it is not scheduled to begin officially until Fall of 2018, the campus has already been buzzing with excitement and anticipation since the decision was made public. President of the University, Thomas Flynn, stated in his speech about the addition of football that it is “part of a logical evolution for the university at a time when we are well situated to expand athletic and recreational opportunities for our students.” While the coming installation of the sport is common knowledge to Alvernia students, their opinions on the matter are still forming.

In speaking to a group of students collectively, it was gathered that the average numbers of those with a positive opinion of the incoming football team and those with doubts about the choice come astoundingly close to equal. Additionally, there were some students who expressed both excitement and concern about the matter. Kaitlin Didinger, sophomore, had a very positive outlook. “I’m eager to see the school progress. I think the core values for this university are so important and that football would help us get our mission out there,” Didinger said. “Still, the dynamic here is definitely going to change as a result. Either way, we’re going to be put on the map!” She continued to express her satisfaction with the changes that have occurred within the university in the past year, such as the new entrance to Francis Hall and the plans for the Plex. Football, she explained, would mark yet another positive change for the school. Didinger also stated that she is eager to have football begin her senior year. She is confident that it will help her end her schooling in a great way.

However, there are students at Alvernia that have concerns about what football will mean for the school. Some feel that the importance of other clubs will be sacrificed in order to make room for sports. Sydni Gajewski, junior and president of the club Hooked on Helping, was one student who expressed this opinion. While she is glad that football will be coming to Alvernia, she fears that it will take priority over other activities on campus. Due to a recruitment meeting for the new football team, Hooked on Helping’s own club meeting was moved from the Commons to the cafeteria. When she arrived to begin the meeting, she discovered that there was yet another event going on in the same room to which she had been relocated. She was told upon arrival that she would have to find somewhere else to host the club. After searching multiple locations and finding activities in each one, she eventually gathered her club members and continued in the lobby of Zygmunta Hall. She stated that she was unaware of the situation beforehand and that this accounts for much of her irritation. “The miscommunication was terrible and the attitude I received when asking about the room was extremely rude,” Gajewski said. “This has given me more of a sour opinion about football. The fact that we had to meet in my dorm building says a lot.” Despite this, she says that she is still glad that football is being introduced, but hopes that the organization will be more considerate of the clubs it must coexist with in the future.

Though students have expressed these views of football at Alvernia, the general effect the sport will have on the school community simply cannot be predicted. Some students project that it will bring in more applications and increase male attendance; others argue that enrollment will most likely not change. There have even been speculations that tuition may be raised as a consequence. Either way, much of this will remain unknown until the sport has actually begun to take its place amongst the rest of the school community.