A 2017-2018 Football Recap

A 2017-2018 Football Recap

The Browns are still bad and backup quarterbacks are winning it all.

179
A 2017-2018 Football Recap
@nfl/Instagram

On Super-Bowl Sunday, the Philidelphia Eagles defeated the New England Patriots 41-33. After the mass destruction of the Philidelphia metro area and the beautiful drops of Tom Brady's tears, America's favorite sport has come to a close. But since the Winter Olympics and baseball season is coming up, let's dwell on what a splendid season of football we witnessed instead of crying until September. We had some good times this football season in both College and NFL Football. We learned that UCF can do whatever they want, grabbing your crotch can win you a Heisman and that the backup quarterback will win you a championship in both college football and in the NFL. But aside from that, lets recap on the good and bad things from last season.

What the hell is a catch?

Tom isn't a good receiver

We are in 2018...Football was created over a century ago and we can draft players on our phones to receive amusement from players risking their health for our fantasy leagues. But for some reason, the NFL has a huge issue with ruling what is and isn't a catch. Even so that in the Super Bowl, two of the most pinnacle scores of the game was under review for ten minutes per each catch! We need more clarity on this rule because it's so frustrating that I can't even write my own definition of a catch myself.

The State of Georgia chokes in Championships.

Unfortunately, I'm a lost soul that roots for the Atlanta Falcons. And seeing last year's Super Bowl against the New England Patriots had me crying in my pillow until I fell asleep only to have me wake up and fail my history test the next day. This season it was expected for Atlanta to #RiseUp and pick up right where they left off from last season.

But that wasn't the case, actually, they barely made the playoffs beating the Los Angeles Rams and then losing to the Philidelphia Eagles tragically. The Georgia Bulldogs had an unexpected football season as well, winning the SEC and having the chance to win the CFP Championship in the city of Atlanta. But with a busted coverage by the Georgia defense against Alabama in overtime, the Bulldogs continued to disappoint the fans and citizens of Georgia sports.

Celebrations!

This was possibly one of the best things to come out of this football season. The harsh and stiff National Football League decided to ease up on the celebration rules this year. Yes, they just gave a dog a bone to try and distract viewers from CTE, Social Justice, and Domestic Violence(it didn't work), but this rule change created a slight feeling or creative freedom for the players, making viewers eager to watch every score on every drive to see what crazy celebration comes next and for them to think "Wow...I never thought to see a Hamilton dance routine in a football game".

Turnover Awards.

Turnover Awards is one of the best things to come out of the college football season. Turnover awards started at the University of Alabama, where the created the turnover belt based on huge championship belts wrestlers would wear. This past season, The University of Miami turned it up a notch and created the turnover chain, a huge Cuban link holding the university's logo embroidered in diamonds. The best part of turnover awards is that they embody the university in a cool way. Hopefully, more universities will get more creative and will shell out more amusing concepts.

The Cleveland Browns are still trash.

I personally get an overwhelming tidal wave of despair when I watch the Cleveland Browns. While having only one win in the last two seasons, the Browns seemed to just accept the fact that they're the laughing stock of the football world. Cleveland has been drafting QBs for the past two decades hoping that one day they would find the right guy to lead them to victory. Like finding hay in a needle stack, it's a painful process to watch a city full of passionate fans get their hearts ripped out every Sunday hoping that the losing will get them a great chance in the draft only to be disappointed by the front office. This year could be different. The Browns have the number one and number four pick in the draft, possibly drafting both a quarterback and a halfback. But until then we're just gonna laugh at the expense of an entire football fanbase.

Ask that backup!

In both championship games, the CFP and the Superbowl, the most valuable players were both the backup quarterbacks for the winning teams. The Alabama Crimson Tide won their seventeenth title with their backup, Tua Tagovailoa, in the second half of a game where the offense wasn't on pace with the defense. And Nick Foles, the backup quarterback for the Philidelphia Eagles, won the Super Bowl MVP after replacing young NFL phenom Carson Wentz after Carson tore his ACL in week fourteen. He even called one of the greatest plays in football history because the man is what Fear, fears. These two QBs shocked the world with their unbelievable poise and luck which inevitably lead them to become champions. Unfortunately, my Falcons had the reigning NFL MVP as a quarterback and accomplished nothing, so I have the utmost respect for those backups.

Conclusion.

It's tough having something you love leave for an extended amount of time, leaving you in heartbreak and sorrow. But just like the sun, football season is sure to rise back up and will provide us the warm feeling we yearn for. This upcoming 2018-2019 season has some promising storylines; from Alabama deciding who to go with at the QB position, or to see if the Raiders are for real for the fourth straight year in a row. Football, you will be dearly missed. But until next time, the putrid Atlanta Braves are my top priority.