Football Season Is Upon Us

Football Season Is Upon Us

Recap of the 2015 Offseason.

8
Football Season Is Upon Us

Us football fans have been waiting months for the new season to begin, and Aug. 9 is the start of what everyone believes to be a special season. So much has happened this off-season from head coaching changes to suspensions to even the great Tom Brady.

Lets recap the 2015 off-season by looking back at the biggest headlines.

1. Brady Suspended

Yes, the golden boy himself Tom Brady went from Super Bowl MVP to suspended superstar. After beating the Seahawks and leading the Patriots to their fourth Super Bowl championship, Brady was accused of being involved in a scandal called Deflategate. An investigation was conducted find out whether Tom Brady ordered equipment managers of the team to deflate footballs in order to give him a better grip on the footballs come game time. Brady received a four game suspension and will be able to return to football in week 6 when the New England Patriots play the Indianapolis Colts. The Patriots organization was also fined $1 million and had their 2016 first round pick and fourth round 2017 pick taken from them.

2. Revis Island Back To The Big Apple With A Gang Behind Him

The best corner in football is going back to the team where it all started. Darrelle Revis was drafted New York Jets in 2007, traded to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, released, signed by the New England Patriots, won Super Bowl XLIX, and signed the largest cornerback contract in NFL history with the New York Jets for five-years and $70 million—$39 million of which is guaranteed. Not only did the four time All-Pro return to the New York Jets, but so did Antonio Cromartie. Buster Skrine and Marcus Gilchrist was also brought in to better up the secondary. On the offensive side of the ball, Brandon Marshall and Steven Ridley were brought in to add a spark to an offense that has struggled over the last couple of years.

3. Jimmy Graham Traded To Seahawks

In a surprise to everyone arguably the best tight end in the NFL was traded from the New Orleans Saints to the Seattle Seahawks. The Saints sent Jimmy Graham and a 4th round pick to the Seahawks for Center Max Unger and a first round pick. The Saints believe that Graham's four-year $40 million contract that he had signed a year before was to much to pay for the injury prone tight end. Seattle on the other hand begs to differ; they have been looking for a solid red zone threat for the last couple of seasons.

4. Cowboys sign Greg Hardy

After being arrested for domestic violence, Greg Hardy did not have to serve time for his crime because the women that had accused him of doing so did not show up to court. Hardy began his life back to the NFL as soon as he could signing a contract with the Dallas Cowboys. Many believe, myself included, that Hardy should not be allowed to play in the NFL because of the domestic violence accusations made against him. Hardy was suspended for 10 games by the league, which was appealed and later reduced to four games.

5. Coaching Switch Ups

Not only are there some new head coaches in the NFL you should get to know, but there are some familiar faces throughout the league in some new colors this year.

Rex Ryan, former head coach of the New York Jets, decided to not only stay in New York, but also the AFC East and chose to coach the Buffalo Bills for the 2015 season. John Fox former head coach of the Denver Broncos, who was fired after not winning a Super Bowl during the last 3 years with one of the best teams in the league, is now the head coach of the Chicago Bears. Gary Kubiak, former Houston Texans head coach and more recently Baltimore Ravens Offensive Coordinator, is now the head coach of the Denver Broncos. Lovie Smith, the former head coach of the Chicago Bears and more recently cornerback coach for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, is now the head coach of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

The NFL also welcomes three rookie head coaches, including Todd Bowles of the New York Jets, Dan Quinn of the Atlanta Falcons, and Jim Tomsula of the San Francisco 49ers.

This season is taking shape and is looking up to be a good one. The new season started Aug. 9, with the Hall of Fame game between the Pittsburgh Steelers and the Minnesota Vikings.