7 Ingredients Perfect For Brain-Boosting Finals Week Meals

These foods will be sure to boost your brainpower for finals.

420
Max Pixel

As a full-time student, it isn’t all that difficult to fall into the downward spiral of ordering fast food during the semester—especially during finals season. Students normally spend most of their time attending class and extracurricular meetings, doing schoolwork, and diligently working at their service-industry jobs to make ends meet with their rent and tuition. Sometimes, it feels like 24 hours are just not enough for one day, and this feeling only intensifies during the tireless two weeks of finals.

While food is vital for survival, sometimes it slips the minds of students when they are working non-stop. The last thing they would want to think about is preparing a home-cooked meal, let alone a healthy one that can boost brain activity. This lack of time and desire to cook ultimately leads to ordering takeout from Panda Express or stopping by the nearest McDonald’s drive-thru.

Consider this your go-to meal guide during finals, at least for one day. There is a brain food for every meal, whether it be breakfast or just a snack. Preparing these meals can actually call for a quick study break, and as stated by Phyllis Korkki of the New York Times, “taking breaks promotes creativity and productivity.”

According to food and health expert Jo Lewin of the BBC’s “Good Food” column, these foods will be sure to “boost your brainpower” in time for finals.

Breakfast

1. Green Tea

You might want to swap your regular cup o’ Joe with some green tea. While green tea contains less caffeine than coffee, it still produces an energetic and focused effect on the body. There is also L-theanine in green tea, which “increases dopamine and the production of alpha waves in the brain,” as stated by Kris Gunnars, BSc of Health Line. This amino acid found in green tea simultaneously improves brain function with caffeine.

2. Eggs

Eggs are renowned for boosting your overall physical and mental health as they are rich in protein, vitamins, and antioxidants. As stated by Kelley Urban, a registered dietitian at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, “choline in eggs is an essential building block of the brain’s memory function.” Biotin, which helps strengthen hair and nails, can also be found in eggs.

Urban emphasizes that the act of scrambling eggs “damages the essential protein and fats” and makes the content unhealthy. Hard-boiled and Sunny-side up eggs are easier, more beneficial alternatives.

Snacks

According to Keri Gans, a professional dietitian in New York City, you should be eating “two healthy snacks—one mid-morning and another between lunch and dinner” if you normally eat three meals a day.

3. Nuts

The American Journal of Epidemiology conducted a study that suggests consumption of vitamin E can “help to prevent cognitive decline, particularly in the elderly.” Nuts, whether they are peanuts, almonds, or cashews, are a great source of vitamin E. Walnuts are highly suggested as they contain omega-3 fatty acids, which can enhance memory.

4. Berries

Dietician Kelley Urban also states that “blueberries, raspberries, and strawberries are full of Vitamin C and antioxidants which have been shown to enhance brain performance, improve memory, and may act as a defense against Dementia and Alzheimers.” Blueberries help to improve short-term memory, which is the memory students utilize while studying and processing information for exams. The vitamin C components found in berries will not only boost your memory but your immune system and total mental function as well.

Lunch

5. Avocados

Avocados contain both vitamin K and folate, which help prevent “blood clots in the brain” and improve cognitive functions, such as memory and concentration. The beloved fruit among millennials also contains vitamin B and vitamin C, which need to be replenished daily as they are not initially stored in the human body.

While you can go with the classic avocado toast, there are also plenty of fun spins and alternative recipes that utilize avocados. A quick, easy one is this chickpea avocado salad sandwich from Ashley Covelli.

Dinner

6. Oily Fish

Oily fish such as salmon, mackerel, trout, sardines, herring, pilchards, and kippers contain effective omega-3 fats in the form of EPA and DHA. As stated by Jo Lewin of BBC, consuming sufficient levels of such fats “is thought to help…manage stress and helps make the good mood brain chemical, serotonin.”

7. Leafy Greens

Urban suggests that “leafy green vegetables…help support memory function,” such vegetables include spinach, kale, and cabbage. They boost memory as they contain vitamin B12, B6, folic acid, and iron. It is not too difficult to incorporate spinach into your everyday diet. You can substitute lettuce with these greens when you make salads. If you have trouble eating greens, they can be blended into smoothies with other fruits and protein so they’re unrecognizable.

Hopefully, this itinerary is enough to keep your hunger and your brain cells satisfied when your nose is in the books. Here’s to acing your finals!