What It's Like To Have A Serious Case Of FOMO

The disease the doctors didn't warn you about.

243
www.pbs.twimg.com

Picture this: One night, you decide to stay in instead of going out. After hours of inner turmoil, you text your friends that you're giving the good ol’ fake ID a rest for the night. Feeling satisfied with your “adult” decision, you decide to watch a movie and curl up on the couch to enjoy some alone time with your sober self.

As the opening credits roll, being the Millennial you are, you start to check your social media. You do the totem pole routine, checking your best friends’ Snapchat stories first, and then it hits you. Everything that you've done before this point has been a lie. Why didn’t you go out? Your friends look like they are having so much fun and here you are sitting on the couch. You’re a goddamn loser.

You break into a cold sweat, scramble to put on makeup, and text your friends to turn their party bus around to come back for you. But it’s too late, and now you must wallow in your “FOMO,” or Fear Of Missing Out disease.

Hello, my name is Hayley Richards, and I suffer from a severe case of FOMO. I know in the previous paragraph it sounds like I’m joking, but I swear I'm not. I'm currently a junior at Eastern Connecticut State University, and from the very first days of freshmen year, I've made it a goal to try and be at every social event possible for the duration of my college career. I know it sounds so silly, and you're probably asking why I'm complaining about my social life and why I care so much about a party.

I find it ridiculous as well. I can’t understand why my head won't shut off. I can fathom the idea of not going to a party or the bar, but to actually act upon that idea is impossible. I don’t sleep, I’ll be lucky if I get four hours because I can’t shut my mind off. The driving thought at night is—somewhere, someone is doing something and I'm not there to see it or be a part of it.

It sounds so stressful, and it is. I have a hard time going in the shower. Not that I don’t shower, I just mean that the most difficult part of my day, next to falling asleep, is closing the door on my roommates hanging out so I could go be alone for 20 minutes in the bathroom.

Some people are the complete opposite of me and love to be alone. I truly admire those people and will never argue with someone who wants to stay in, because secretly, I'm jealous of their solitude. It’s not even a matter of being with someone, I don’t want a boyfriend or anything like that, I think I just have a fear of being forgotten.

I feel like if someone doesn’t see me out and about, they'll forget I exist or something. I know it’s crazy, but these are the thoughts that I have every day. I even change my walking routes to maximize the amount of people I might see on my way to class, and I leave for class early to give myself enough time to talk to people on my morning commutes.

Maybe I’m extremely unhealthy, but honestly, my FOMO has gotten me the greatest friends and the greatest times. I don’t think there's any hour of any day I regret. I really just love to be present and feel the same feelings as someone else, and understand why they are the way they are.

FOMO is a serious disease that one should not joke about, but honestly, right now, I don’t think I want to be cured.