Don't Fear Following God As A College Student

The smallest amount of time given to God may not be much in our eyes but is everything in God's eyes.

55

When beginning college everything can seem overwhelming. With classes, work, extra curricular activities and time with friends and family. Making time for it all is not the easiest task. For the students going to college with God by their side, how do you make time for him on top of your already long list of duties? You don't have to be super religious, go to church every week, or know the bible like the back of your hand to stay in touch with God. If you're a follower of God then going to college and balancing spending time with God can be tough.

The answer is simple. When putting God first on your list, everything else will fall into place. The hard part is actually finding the time of day to do so.

Making time for God is key. It can be shortly after waking up, before going out for the day, between studying, at the end of the day, or before heading to bed. It differs from person to person, so you have to find the time of day that works best for you. This may take a few trial and errors but even as little as 15 minutes a day will help tremendously. No matter how early or late, try to find a small window throughout your busy schedule to open yourself up to God.

Being able to connect with God is possible. It can be anything from reading a few passages of the Bible, prayer, music or even meditating. There are many ways to reach out to God and worship. I personally didn't realize til recently that just as God can hear our prayers, we have the ability to hear him speak to us. Using a few of these methods gives you the ability to detach from your physical state of mind and connect spiritually so you can hear God more clearly. The point is to find a way to communicate with God and receive him each day.

If you find yourself having trouble with daily devotions than one way to help is to get involved on campus. On most college campuses there are organizations and campus ministries. Usually, they have weekly, bi weekly or monthly meetings. Most likely they take place when classes aren't in session or during a time where other things aren't as likely to interfere. This could be a great way to make time for God while doing so with other students. It also helps get a sense of belonging with like minded people. Most also have ways to connect with the community outside of campus.

Another way is to volunteer. Giving back to the community or anyone in need with Christian based organizations can help you feel closer to God as well.

Going to church is another great way to feel connected. Sometimes it can take trying out a few different ones before finding the one that best suits your values, and has services that work with your schedule.

The smallest amount of time given to God may not be much in our eyes but is everything in God's eyes. Personally, I tell myself that making time for God is mandatory. So when going throughout my day I keep that in mind while taking advantage of any opportunity I have to connect with God. Just as it's important to eat food daily or drink water the same applies for time with God. It's not something I dread either, I look forward to it each day.

Before, during or after a hectic day I find peace and sanity by connecting with my spiritual self. Even this takes time, I didn't come to be this way overnight. Starting off with a day or two weekly then building on your faith can help you begin to lead every day life with your spirit. When making God your top priority you may find that the everything else seems to fall in place.