How Folklore Fan Theories Took a Toxic Turn

If you never bleed, you'll never grow.

7
Taylor Swift

Last week, Taylor Swift announced on her Instagram that she would be releasing her 8th studio album at midnight. Fans quickly took to Twitter, Instagram and Tik Tok to express their excitement for the unexpected album drop. This album, Folklore, came just 11 months after the release of her 7th studio album, Lover, which is why fans were so surprised when she announced this new era.

With less than 24 hours notice, her fans began to mourn the end of the Lover era and prepare for this next album's release. The turn around was quick but fans were still able to enjoy the release of her album with listening parties and even watching the first music video premiere live with Taylor Swift herself. Then once the album officially dropped, fans dropped everything to listen to it right at midnight (despite the problems on Apple Music and Spotify).

Once the first listen was done, fans continued to support the album and even began looking for clues or easter eggs among the lyrics or even Taylor Swift's recent posts. Fans were able to put together a few different theories like that of the identity of William Bowery, the potential name of Blake Lively and Ryan Reynold's third child, and that one post where she said "not a lot going on at the moment". Most of these theories were light-hearted and fun since Swift herself loves to leave her fans clues and watch them guess about her future albums. While all the theories created by fans meant well, there was one that stuck out to me that I saw shared several times across social media.

This theory was about a potential engagement and pregnancy announcement. Now this might seem normal given the usual speculation about celebrities lives; but this theory comes after Taylor Swift revealed in her documentary, Miss Americana, her struggle with an eating disorder. In Miss Americana, Swift revealed that the discussion of her weight by her haters and tabloids has taken a toll on her and that she struggles to look at photos of herself all the time. She went on to detail her experience of hearing these comments and how deeply it would affect her. So while these theories were nothing to take too seriously, it is important to consider the consequences these theories might have for someone who is struggling with their image.

Although I am specifically discussing these theories and Taylor Swift today, many other celebrities deal with similar comments from fans, haters and the tabloids. It is important to remember as fans we do not know what is happening behind the scenes in our favorite celebrities lives and even though most of mean well it can still be hurtful.