Flowers that Bloom All Summer

Flowers that Bloom All Summer

They are absolutely beautiful.

178
Flowers that Bloom All Summer
Word Press

Everyone wants that perfect summer garden, whether its flowers or vegetables. There are many different flowers to choose from. You can even make designs in your garden by placing different flowers in a certain way.

Dahlias

There are 12 different flower groups in the dahlia family that have distinct-looking blooms that are available in almost every imaginable color except for blue. Fertilize dahlias in July with one application of 5-10-10 or 10-10-10 fertilizer.

Cannas

Cannas--also known as canna lilies but not really in the lily family--will bloom from early summer to the first frost in an array of colors including yellow, orange, red, pink and cream. Many cultivators exist, and most reach 3 to 6 feet, but some dwarf varieties grow to only two feet. To encourage more blooms, apply 10-10-10 fertilizer beginning in the spring. Repeat every four to six weeks until early fall.

Crocosmias

Crocosmias will multiply and the plants and blooms will get bigger in years to come. The blooms last all summer. There are more than 400 cultivators and the yellow, orange and red varieties attract hummingbirds. Crocosmias will continue to bloom during the fall as the rest of the garden dies away. Crocosmias are not heavy feeders and therefore do not need fertilizers when planted in the garden.

Lillies

There are hundreds of lily cultivators from which to choose and all typically grow to be between 2 to 8 feet. Blooms vary in color such as pink, orange, maroon, yellow and white. Once the lilies begin to emerge from the ground in the spring, fertilize monthly with 5-10-10 fertilizer. Tiger lilies, oriental lilies and trumpet lilies are just a few of the kinds of lilies that will bloom all summer long.

Tuberous Begonias

Choose from more than 900 species of tuberous begonias, most of which have double blooms that flower from summer until fall. They are among the few bulbs that prefer the shade, but still bloom vibrant colored flowers. Unlike a lot of summer bulbs, tuberous begonias are on the small size--growing only 12 to 24 inches in height. Tuberous begonias should be fertilized every two to four weeks with a balanced fertilizer, such as one labeled 10-10-10.

Flowers are a great way to turn your boring yard into a fun and creative space. These flowers bloom all summer long.