Florida State in the wake of the Trump win

A community united

8
Minus the Tail Photography

November 9th, 2016. No matter your party affiliation, this date will remain a historic day in the American narrative. Upon hearing the Republican party take not only the presidency, but also the Senate and the House of Representatives, many were filled with hope and excitement for what these three Republican branches will bring to our country. Others, however were overwhelmed with fear. As a member of the Florida State family, I took particular notice of how our campus reacted to this shift. Thankfully, FSU has not reported any outwardly violent or hateful acts following the election similar to those occurring on college campuses across the nation. At the University of Pennsylvania, for example, African American students were added to a group chat brimming with incendiary, racist rhetoric and marked with a calendared "Daily Lynching" of the minority students (Salon). In Tallahassee, fortunately, the most prominent post-Trump reactions have been the peaceful protests held at the Capitol.

Florida State students and Tallahassee locals rallied together on Wednesday, November 8th, the day after the election, and again on November 16th to make their voices heard. The protesters of the November 16th event, with numbers nearing the 300s, marched throughout the downtown area, ending up at the Capitol building. The organizers of the protest worked in conjunction with the Capitol Police to redirect traffic and ensure the safety of everyone involved.

The sentiment of both protests was not so much "We will not accept this new reality," but rather, "This pending Trump presidency does not reflect the values of our America." To all those in fear for their safety or panicked about their future, know this: There are members of the Florida State and Tallahassee community willing to fight and fight relentlessly for your security, your peace of mind, and your human rights.