Flor Brings The Troubadour To Life

Flor Brings The Troubadour To Life

An amazing opener, a Post Malone cover, and a headliner that emanates good vibes makes the perfect combination.

346
Flor Brings The Troubadour To Life
Jared Heveron

On Saturday night, the Troubadour was alive. Now I know the venue itself cannot actually come to life, but the amount of energy, happiness, and good vibes that were pouring out the front doors was enough for it to uproot and fly away. On the last night of their come out. you're hiding tour, flor came onstage ready to play a sold-out show in their hometown of Los Angeles, but let me backtrack for a second.

I first came across flor a few months back on SoundCloud, when looking for up and coming artists for a project for work. I was immediately captivated by the melodic intricacies of their songs and it was at that moment that I became a proper fan. I went on Spotify, listened to the full album, come out. you're hiding, and then saw that they were playing a show at the Troubadour. Going was a must.

Fast forward.

Handsome Ghost opened the show with tunes that immediately set the tone for the rest of the night, in the best way. All songs were centered around the lead singer, Tim Noyes, soothing yet raspy vocals and acoustic guitar. Even still, the synths and percussion were such a necessary factor in fulfilling the potential of each song.

About halfway through their set, they played the top song, "Fool" off of their new album Welcome Back. For that song and all others, the audience was singing every word. During "Reckless Lover" the audience was screaming the lyrics, causing Noyes to smile in disbelief.

Their presence on stage was reassuring which might sound like an odd way to describe it, but they made the crowd feel as though the only place and time in the world existed there and then. This was most prevalent in their last song "Harvest Moon"; the feelings that radiated off the stage were those of pure happiness, togetherness, and love.

I'm happy to say that those feelings only increased when flor hit the stage. The house lights went dark and the stage lights came on casting a blue hue to the stage as an ambient sound came over from the speakers. The band came on stage to applause like no other and started their set off with the first song from the album, "Guarded". I could tell from the first song, that the rest of the night was going to be an epic dance party filled with good vibes and relief from reality.

Their newest song, "Rely", has been added to the album as a part of the deluxe edition and is a true bop live. If you could see sound waves you would've during that song. Throughout the whole show, the band was so in tune with each other with Zachary Grace, center stage, killing the vocals and playing guitar riffs that were such an essential part of each song, Dylan Bauld playing bass like his life depended on it, McKinley Kitts playing guitar splendidly, and Kyle Hill hitting each drum with utmost precision.

Before performing "Heart", Grace took the time to tell the audience how this show was everything they could've hoped and dreamt for. Towards the end of the song, members of the audience held up translucent multicolored hearts that they illuminated with the flashlights from their phones and the smile on each band members face was indescribable. It was definitely a personal favorite moment of the show.

The rest of the show was filled with more instrumental jams, multi-colored mood lighting, and smiles from the band that matched the screams of the crowd. From a cover of Post Malone's "I Fall Apart", to stripped beginnings and endings of "Heart" and "Where Do You Go" it was a show that I hoped would never end.

When they left the stage before the encore more ambient music was played, but now with a voice that said, "There's just so much more to do". The entire venue was shaking with vibrations from the bass building up to their return.

Hitting the stage for the last two songs it truly seemed like flor was living their dream and they made everyone else in the audience feel like they were living theirs. During their last song "Hold On" the energy in the room was buzzing. It was one of those moments where you could tell that everyone in the room just felt so alive. The world outside the Troubadour disappeared and for the following few minutes, it was just the band and the crowd. Everyone was jumping around with the biggest smiles on their faces and the emotion that was in the air is one that I wish I could've bottled up and saved for later. It was at that point that I knew that the feeling of that show would stay with me for a lot longer than most.