'Temptation Island'

There's A Fundamental Flaw Behind 'Temptation Island,' But The Truth Is, I Can't Stop Watching It

Call it a guilty pleasure.

29

I've always loved reality TV. Whether it be "Jersey Shore" or "The Bachelor," I've always had a certain fixation behind shows that followed real people as they embarked on some exciting journey or experience. Maybe it's the idea that this is reality, or maybe I just love the drama of these "scripted" shows. Whatever the reason, I can't stop myself from finding a new series to binge-watch, which is why I was so drawn to "Temptation Island."

For those who don't watch it, "Temptation Island" features four couples who are placed on an exotic island along with 15 single males and 15 single females. Each couple is facing a significant roadblock or junction, and the purpose of the TV show is to determine whether these couples are meant to be or whether the relationship will fail at the hands of temptation, hence the title.

I'm gonna be completely honest with you: when I first heard of this show, I thought it was absolutely ridiculous. What couple would willingly choose to subject themselves to this? And more importantly, who would actually succumb to temptation on national television?

After watching the first eight episodes and while patiently waiting for the season finale, I can only say this much. Even though I will continue watching this addicting series, it is incredibly flawed in its nature. There's a reason most of the couples that enter this process don't make it out, but it's not because of what happens on the show.

Any couple who willingly subjects themselves to an experience like this shouldn't be together. It's that simple.

If you have to "tempt" your partner in order to see if your relationship will withstand the depths of time, IT'S NOT MEANT TO BE. And the thing is, I don't know if these couples entered this show for fame or truly out of love for their significant others and relationships. It could be both, or there could be some other external motive. But for the couples who believe that the process of this show will strengthen their relationship, I have a news flash for you: it won't. Maybe through this process individuals learned more about themselves or that their relationship wouldn't work. But it seems foolish to attribute the strengthening of one's relationship to this show.

At the end of the day, though, it's still reality television. Which means that it is probably scripted and over dramatized. I can't take the plights of these relationships to heart, as it does not involve me. For now, I'll suffice with grabbing my popcorn and turning on the TV for the next episode.