Five Tips for Turning Your Gaming Hobby into a Business
News

The gaming industry is a multi-billion dollar business, and it's continuing to grow.

42

What if I told you that you could turn your hobby into a full-time gig? Not only will you be able to make some money on the side or have an additional income stream, but many people are making their entire living off of being self-employed in this field.

So how does it work? Well, there are many avenues to take. You can be a professional gamer or streamer, you can play online poker professionally, or you could design board games that are sold around the world. It all depends on your interests and how much time you want to put into this business.

There are hundreds of stories out there of people who have turned their gaming hobby into a full-time job. But this also takes hard work and dedication. So if you're thinking of turning your passion into a business, here are five tips to help get you started:

1. Have Great Gameplay

Being a professional gamer is no easy task. The competition in the professional gaming scene is fierce, and gamers can train for years to become masters at their game of choice. For example, gaming legend BoxeR (Lim Yo Hwan) became Korea's #1 Starcraft player more than 10 years ago and has played in televised leagues.

You must have excellent knowledge of your gaming titles, play at a high level, be able to teach others how to improve their gameplay, and you need the charisma to entertain an audience.

You can also become a streamer on Twitch or YouTube Gaming where you get paid for views/subscribers. There are hundreds of YouTube channels that dedicate their entire channel to playing games. These channels earn money from Ads and Sponsored Videos, but they also earn revenue from fan contributions or via donations.

You can sell game boosting services like the vault of glass carry and teach people how to become better gamers. There's a lot of money that can be made from just playing games, and there are different avenues that you can start out with if you're interested in getting into the gaming industry as a business opportunity.

2. Build a Following Online

To be successful in the online gaming world, you need to build a following either through Twitch (streaming), YouTube (video content), or a Blog (information hub). You can choose any or all of these options.

Many online gamers have been able to turn their gameplay into a full-time job by utilizing social media and cultivating a large following on Twitch/YouTube. For example, gamer Lirik has over 1 million followers on Twitch and makes an estimated $5-7k a month from his Twitch subscribers and ad revenue.

3. Network & Know Your Competition

Just like in any other industry, whether you're trying to become a professional gamer or build an online brand, the best way is to network with people in your field. If you're aiming to be a pro-gamer, then attend events where gamers meet up. If you're trying to build up your brand, then attend local events where gamers are present and meet people in the gaming community.

Know your competition. It's important to know who is out there doing what you want to do. This way, you can not only make connections with people but also come up with strategies on how to gain more followers/subscribers than them.

4. Use the Right Tools

Tools like Trello, Hootsuite, and Photoshop are essential for your success in growing your gaming brand/company. Whether you're trying to stream on Twitch, upload videos on YouTube, or build up an online brand; you need to use tools that allow you to distribute your content in a place where people can see it.

For example, if you're using Hootsuite, then you're able to post on various social media platforms simultaneously and keep track of all the comments/feedback from your followers. If you're playing video games and talking about them online, then it's time for you to purchase a USB microphone.

The right tools help you save time and increase your productivity. You can cut out the tedious tasks and do more of what you enjoy.

5. Build an Audience with Good Content

When it comes to being a gamer, you have two choices: play games or talk about games. If you plan on doing both, then you must be able to do it well.

Just like in any other profession, the best way to get noticed is by having good/original content. For example, Tyler Blevins aka Ninja became so popular when he started streaming Fortnite on Twitch. He didn't just play Fortnite during his stream; he also interacted with his chat and created a friendly environment for his viewers.

If you're trying to build a following through YouTube, then use the right camera. Don't just show your gameplay; create entertaining videos that will keep people coming back for more.

Conclusion

If you've been gaming for years and are considering turning your hobby into a business, I hope the tips we discussed today have made it easier to start thinking about how that might work. From finding an idea or niche market to set up your website or store, there are many ways to turn Gaming into profit with just a little bit of effort.