Through this semester there have been some challenges, and many rewarding moments. But, in this semester I have learned some valuable lessons.

The Risk Is Worth It…most of the time

I’m a very careful person. I like safe bets and baby slopes. This semester, I stopped being so careful and cautious and took the risks that I really wanted to take. Did all of those risks and chances I took, wind up going the way I wanted? No, but am I glad that I took them? For the most part, yes.

The Value Of The Previous Semester

Spring 2016, my freshman year, was the hardest I’ve ever had to work. Bad grades from the previous had done a number on my GPA and I needed to get it up. I worked on my time management and had to be honest with myself about what I needed to do to do well in my classes and make the grades that I needed. After lots of late nights, coffee, and tears I was able to finish semester in good standing. I learned a lot that semester, many of those lessons have propelled me through the fall.

That One Class Is Not Unbeatable

Oh god. Math. No one will ever understand how freaking terrified I was when I saw MATH125 on my schedule. As a Journalism and now Pre-Law major, math is terrifying. You can’t write or argue your way out of problem. You simply have to figure it out. I wasn’t taking any chances, I immediately got a tutor and started working on finding ways that I could teach the content to myself. Every single math class since I was a kid has been a struggle to conquer. I never got it, I never thought I would. But for some reason, this class stuck and it wasn’t so hard. It actually became one of my top classes. No class is impossible. You just have to find your way through.

The Importance Of Broadening Your Horizons

After I finished my freshman year, I knew one thing for sure. I had outgrown campus life. Some people can spend two, even three years living in the dorms. One year in my complete showed me all I needed to see. From the bad roommate situations to the downright bad conditions, I had had enough. This year I moved into my first apartment, I randomly chose my roommates and I am so very glad that I did. I get to live with two very kind and caring people, who i’m excited to be living with next year! It’s so important to push yourself to grow in college, expand. That is the whole point of college. To grow.

You Should Cherish Your People

I cannot stress this enough. Your people will keep you grounded. They will hold you when you cry, they will be there when your over the moon excited and need someone share in your joy, or hold your hand and tell you Shaq jokes while you get a get a bar shoved through your ear. Do not take these people for granted. Be there for them when they need you. Do not blow them off. They love you and they will see you through the best and worst of times. And trust me when I say that there will be plenty of times when you will need each other. Invest time in your friendships and in your people. They. Are. Worth. It.