Five Things That Surprised Me About My Wake Forest Experience

2297

Life at the home of the Demon Deacons has been a wonderful experience, but it hasn't been without a few surpris

After two years at the university of my dreams, I found my experience to be completely different from every story I've heard about the typical college experience. Although, I've lived down the street from Wake my entire life, there have been elements of campus life that I wasn't expecting. 

I understood my that my undergrad years would be a time to make lifelong friends, study abroad, and find myself, while simultaneously earning a degree that would aid me in my future career endeavors. I learned, rather quickly, that my experience was not to be compared to any other college experience. This wasn't because my journey has been radical in any way, but because no one can really prepare you to experience life, as it comes at you.

1. Making friends is not as easy as it looks

"You will make so many friends!"

"There are going to be lots of different people, many with the same interests as you!"

I heard all of the aforementioned statements before I started college, but making friends at Wake Forest was not as easy as I expected. We've all seen movies where the main character attends a new school and within a few days makes at least one friend, completely effortlessly, and they stay best friends forever. This was not my experience.

I've made some great friends, but it has been a time of trial and error.  I've had to learn a variety of interpersonal skills, like learning how to approach people (and how not to), and how to tell whom to trust (and whom not to). I quickly learned to understand what people mean when they talk about others being fake or phony and, subsequently, to identify red flags. 

Making friends has not been all butterflies and rainbows. There have been tears, laughter, screaming matches, apologies, and even a few goodbyes. But through these tribulations, I have found a small group of genuine people I could never replace. 

2. Pro Humanitate is both a motto and a lifestyle

"The Wake Forest motto, Pro Humanitate, is regularly translated as “For Humanity” and is probably most often understood to mean that we do what we do for the sake of humanity, for the people of the world."  James Powell, Associate Professor of Classical Languages. 

Before coming to Wake, I thought, "That's a nice motto they've got, but who really heeds their motto?" The Wake Forest community strives to live up to this motto in more ways than one! There are a few school-wide volunteer efforts, such as Pro Humanitate Day, when students are sent into the community to volunteer for a whole day. There is also D.E.S.K., when student groups paint desks for students at a local elementary school. Other efforts include Campus Kitchen, VOICES, volunteering at El Buen Pastor, Wake Alternative Breaks, Rake Forest, and so many more.

It's not just through volunteering that Wake Forest embodies this motto, but through the presence of offices such as the Office of Multicultural Affairs, Safe Office, University Counseling Center, Office of Diversity and Inclusion, Women's Center, LGBTQ Center and others.  The campus is working to become a kind environment, welcoming for everyone within our Wake Forest community.

3. The gym is nice. Including fitness classes would be nicer.

"You mean there's an additional fee to take fitness classes?"

Wake Forest is a wonderful school with a glittering reputation, and a steep cost so, naturally, I expected that the Miller Center would be a top of the line facility. Don't get me wrong, the gym is functional, with an array of elliptical machines, treadmills, and free weights, but it's not very big and some of the equipment is old. The assisted dip machine has been missing a pin for almost a year, rendering it unusable.

In addition to the main gym area, there are many fitness classes available for students to take, but you have to pay for a pass in order to take these classes! As a result of the added cost of the pass, students on a budget are limited as to where they can workout. I'm glad that the use of the Miller Center is free to students, but I definitely expected fitness classes would have been included somewhere in that $60,000 price tag. 

4. Weed-out classes are more valuable than you may think.

"I'm totally pre-med!"

I dreaded these weed-out classes, figuring that they were some kind of necessary evil to separate the strong from the weak. I was the one who goes to college announcing to everyone that I was pre-med and nothing anyone says can change that. Taking general chemistry was a struggle, but I told myself,"That's okay, there was a lot of math involved. Biology is more your thing!" I did not do too well in biology, either.

For a brief period of time, I felt that this was unfair, that this was Wake's fault for having crazy weed-out classes and that I had, somehow, fallen victim to academic trickery. After some reflection, deciding on a more suitable major -- and retaking Bio 114 -- I realized that these classes are a blessing in disguise. These entry-level classes can be super difficult, demanding so much time and effort to make a good grade. If you want to pursue a career in any particular field, these classes will definitely test your dedication. If you find that it is for you, congrats! Now you are probably a lot more certain in your career path than before. If you decide that these classes are not worth the struggle, then congrats to you! Thanks to our liberal arts curriculum, you've got time to find what you truly want to study!

5. Greek life dominates

"What do those letters even stand for?"

Before college, the extent of what I knew about Greek life came from Legally Blonde. I had no idea that these organizations essentially rule social life at Wake Forest. Did you know that we have 25 fraternities and sororities?! That's a ton, right?

The majority of parties that take place each weekend tend to be hosted by fraternities, either in their respective lounges, off-campus locations, or at the barn. I have not seen many successful parties hosted by other student groups, without the support of a Greek organization. 

Whether it is a good or bad thing, Greek life seems to be the way people form social groups on this campus. My freshman year, I overheard many horror stories about rush week, bid day, being one line, etc., but everybody seemed to feel that all of the craziness was well worth it for the life-long friendships and connections they would build. And, I'm sure they're right.

But, don't worry. There is so much going on at Wake, in terms of extracurricular activities, that you're bound to find your best fit whether it be Greek or not!