hairstyles for guys
Beauty Fashion

5 Things Guys Should Keep In Mind While Styling Their Hair

Yes dudes, styling your hair is an art.

223
Jake Lucareli

We all want that perfect selfie hair, even the guys. If there is one thing I'm known for, it's my hair. Either that, or my sassy diva attitude. But yes, I love styling my hair and making it look nice so I go out and not be self-conscious. I'm often asked at college, “Bro how do you get your hair like that? It has a sick floooowwww.". Being a 19-year-old gay man, I often just say that all the gays have nice hair. HA! Just kidding! But seriously, being a guy and styling your hair isn't as easy as all the girls would think. I've broken it down into 5 essential tips that should be applied when styling your hair for the day.

1. Always Style Your Hair After You’ve Washed It

Having your hair freshly shampooed, conditioned, and clean is the first step. This will ensure that your hair is free of all excess oils and dirt before doing anything it.

2. Put Hair Product In Your Hair Before Drying It

This is crucial. Do not dry your hair before putting product in. That means no to blow dryers, and air drying. Having completely dry hair and then applying hair product can cause it to look greasy and not keep a firm hold throughout the day. Towel dry your hair after washing it so it’s is still wet, but not dripping, then apply product.

3. Use A Blow Dryer For Optimal Volume

Yes boys, you need to do what Chanel #1 is doing in that photo, and give your hair volume. Also, you have to watch Scream Queens because it is the funniest show ever. But seriously, blow drying your hair is so important when making sure it’s not flat. After towel-drying and applying product, use the blow dryer to both dry your hair, and give it volume and shape. Do as much or as little as you want!

4. Don’t Use A Brush

THIS DEVICE IS EVIL. DO NOT USE IT. Contrary to popular belief, a hairbrush does not de tangle your hair. Instead, it will pull it out and damage it. Sounds fun right? If you need a way to detangle your hair after the shower and for styling, use your hands or a specialized comb for your hair type.

5. Work With Your Hair Type

The most important thing to remember when styling your hair men, is to work with what your hair can do. For instance, I have really thick and wavy hair, so there are some hairstyles I simply cannot pull off. It is better to play around with styles that suit your natural hair rather than trying to force it to conform in a way that it doesn’t want to. Yes, hair often has a mind of it’s own.

So to all the guys who have asked me over the last few years how I do it, there's your answer. But you don't have to follow each step exactly how I do. You should start with these steps and tweak them however you need to for your hair to look it's best. Trust me, as someone who worries about their hair constantly, I know how important it is to get the right type of flow. I hope this helps guys of all ages, not just the random dudes who asked me at college!