The 5 Stages Of Unpacking

The 5 Stages Of Unpacking

Over-dramatic? Sure, but it's hard!

51
The 5 Stages Of Unpacking
Trip Central

So, you just got back from a huge trip, and frankly, you're pretty pumped to be home. Everyone looks forward to pretty much the same things when they come back from anything from a week-long beach vacation to an entire semester of study abroad. However, there's one thing that no one loves about traveling — unpacking. Here are the five stages everyone who has to unpack goes through before actually undertaking the task.

1. Denial Or Procrastination

Obviously, you have to unpack at some point, but there's just so much more important stuff to do first! Like telling your family and friends about all the cool stuff you did, calling work to start getting on the schedule again and obviously taking a nice, long nap in your own bed. Unpacking? That's the last thing on your long list of stuff to do. Leave the suitcases by the door.

2. Anger

OK, so you have finally decided that the suitcase can't stay by the door any longer, and you have started the impossible task. The anger in this step can be directed at any number of sources, but you know deep down that the only person to blame is yourself. Why did you have to bring so much useless crap home? Did you absolutely need a newspaper from every day of the week? And why won't anyone help you? You're dying over here!

3. Bargaining

Your anger has settled and you realize that there's no way you can get out of unpacking. But maybe you can bargain your way to some help. "Mom, if you unpack my suitcase, then I'll clean the entire house. I swear. Not like last time, for real this time." You know what they say, misery loves company.

4. Depression

Oh, God why did you wait this long? Why won't anyone help me? This stage of grief usually comes when you need to find something in one of your suitcases and you realize just how much you procrastinated. And some of your laundry was wet, so now everything smells weird and gross. You suck. You're the worst.

5. Acceptance

It's finally time. Your time has come. Finally, you swallow your pride and finish the job without even complaining (that much). Yeah, it sucks, but when you're finally finished, you can practically feel the relief wash over you. The task is done!