The Five Stages of Finals

The Five Stages of Finals

You are not alone.

6
The Five Stages of Finals
Gainesville Scene

The stages of finals are felt by all walks of students during the end of the semester across all types of schools. You are not alone. The five stages of finals have various lengths of each stage with different levels of intensity. Students will move between the stages often before achieving a more peaceful acceptance of their academic death. As long as there is life, there may be hope. As long as there is hope, there may be life. Keep in mind that all students go through these stages differently. Some wear their emotions openly while others may struggle more internally. The five stages of finals won't last forever. There is hope.

Stage 1: Denial: "I am fine. I don't need to study yet."

This is the point in studying on the opening of dead days. School is no longer in normal session so the girls slip on their going-out-booties and make-up and the boys send out addresses for the party scene to commence. As finals approach, this is the stage in which your brain pushes any type of academic thought out of your head while trying to occupy yourself with any fun tasks other than studying you can think of. Partying...sleeping...going out for food...anything you can grasp. You go numb to the idea of any type of homework or studying. This helps you to cope and survive the initial idea of finals.

Stage 2: Anger: "WHY ME!?"

After your night or two of denial, your feelings you denied are beginning to appear as reality emerges and pain surfaces. You are not ready. It is too soon to bear. This is a necessary stage of finals. Be willing to feel your anger, even though it may seem too immense to control. As you throw your study guides in the air and gripe at anyone in your path, your anger enrages at the idea of studying. You have been studying for exams all semester why do you need a big exam of all your smaller exams!!!???? WHAT IS THE POINT!!?? Anger may be aimed at inanimate objects, friends, family, or complete strangers.

Stage 3: Bargaining: "If only I had started studying last week."

The normal reaction to these overarching feelings of helplessness and vulnerability is often a need to regain the control you feel you have lost. If only you had studied hard all semester...if only you were more organized....If only you had started studying days before like you told yourself you would. If only....if only....

Stage 4: Depression: "I'm going to fail anyway...what is the point?"

Sadness and regret set in. You worry about the impact the final will have on your grade. You worry about missing out on fun events in place of having to study. You worry if you will get it all done in time. The second stage of depression is a bit more personal and subtle, not noticed by many. It is your quiet preparation for what is to come. You bid our sanity and chance of an A fairwell as you notice you need a 113% on the final to get an A in the class.

Stage 5: Acceptance: "It is going to be okay."

After going through the four stages, you have finally reached the final one. You have accepted finals are going to happen and as much as you want to block them out, they are here. You have realized the stages have taken up your dead days and now it is the night before your biggest final at midnight and you have accepted....it is time to really focus and study.