5 Reasons Why Being The Grandma Of Your Friend Group Is The Best

You go Grandma!
1272

My grandma and I have a lot in common: we both like to sit and watch game shows all day, we don't like a lot of noise, and we sleep the majority of the time. However, my grandmother is 87 years old and I am 21, so it's not at all socially acceptable for me to nap in a Lay-Z Boy for hours on end. For a long time, being called a grandma was uncool or meant that you were no fun (which is v. ageist but that's beside the point), but I've come to embrace the octogenarian in me, and my life has only gotten better with age. Here's why being the grandma of your friend group is definitely the best.

1. You definitely get enough sleep.

To the grandma friend, there is nothing worse than the idea of being out until two or three in the morning. Most of the time, we are in bed around nine or ten, but maaayyybbee midnight if we decide to make a rare appearance downtown. While most people are stumbling into class sleepy-eyed and yawning, you are basking in the glory that is getting 9-10 hours of sleep.

2. Your friends come to you for your sage advice.

Though your body is young, your mind is old. You've been around the block a couple of times, and since your retirement from your teen years, you've had a lot of time to reflect on what life is really all about. Plus you spend a lot of time at parties observing other people, so you know a thing or two about the human condition. Like an actual grandma, you are full of wisdom and war stories about when frat parties were real parties and not stand-around-and-talkies.

3. You get to wear sweatpants a lot of the time.

Grandmas do not give a crap what they wear; it's all about the comfort. As soon as you come home, it's bra off and fuzzy socks on, and it stays that way. You'd be hard pressed to find us out in a mini skirt and a shirt so tight that we can't breathe, because we've been there, done that, realized that you'll hook up with just as many dudes wearing sweatpants, and donated that junk to Goodwill.

4. You're always caught up on the latest TV.

While our younger friends are out meeting people and doing things, we are in bed watching the television streaming service of our choice. We can always tell you what happened on the The Bachelor or This is Us, because we've seen it all.

5. You get to be unashamedly yourself.

When you reach a certain age, you are allowed to say what you what, do what you want, and be who you want, because you've earned it. Grandmas don't give two you-know-whats about what people think about them, so the peer pressure/ FOMO is meaningless. It's very freeing. You go, Grandma!