Five Reasons Why Tattoos ≠ Regrets

Five Reasons Why Tattoos ≠ Regrets

"No ragrets."

44
Five Reasons Why Tattoos ≠ Regrets
livestrongcdn

The ways of tattooing have unfortunately been swept back and forth between argument and argument over the stigmata of walking around with ink permanently marked into your skin. Those fixed on times of the past bastardize tattoos, while the younger generation glorifies tattoos and the self expression that they bring. As someone whom has "questionable," tattoos, I decided to list five reasons why I will not regret my tattoos and hope you will not either.

1. Clearly something I wanted a lot or I held meaning to will not be regretted.

The common misconception with tattoos is that they are required by law. The misconception that you cannot go to a shop, discuss with your artist what you want, and get it done without being judged for it not having an significant meaning other than "I want this." Tattoo artists want to share their artwork, and please their customers. You do not need to justify wanting that butterfly on your lower back for your grandma, do it if you just like butterflies. I have a lotus symbolizing one of my favorite bands, I also like lotuses. It just kinda works.

2. They look SICK when you get older

"Won't that fade and sag when you get older?"

You do understand that they can do touch ups, cover ups, or preparing for skin to stretch? There are plenty of people getting up there in age that look absolutely stunning with their tattoos. Don't let these people discourage you, you'll get older but if you take care of yourself, you'll look like a fox. (Insert the flame emoji here.) My arms may or may not sag when I turn 55, but I have cool drawings and stuff to cover it, that's okay.

Woman Crush Wednesday material

3. As life goes on, I have room to add on for whatever is thrown my way.

One day I plan on having kids, I plan on settling down when I decide what to do with my life. I want art on my skin that shows my love and devotion for my family, my children. To me there is no greater gesture of love than sacrifice. Is giving someone a spot on your body sacrifice, or a single great act of love?

This man got a tattoo of what his son drew. Every day he can look at his arm and be reminded of his son, what could be better?

4. Self Confidence

Some people outright do not feel comfortable in their own bodies. If the body is a temple, why not decorate the temple lavishly? Personally I have scars that I was glad to cover up when I started getting tattooed. If that boosts your self confidence then do what makes you feel better about yourself. Tattoos are about selfishness, this is YOUR body. Decorate it how you see fit, and do not let anyone tell you they think your idea is stupid.

5. Times are changing

Tattoos are not marginalized by society to the extent they were 75 years ago. There are some places were tattooing is illegal, such as South Korea.

Exploring Korea's Illegal Tattooing Scene

Doctors can have tattoos. The military has expanded their rulings of what tattoos can be accepted when enlisting. My potential careers have not been sentenced to death because of my tattoos, granted they can be covered up by proper attire.

No one can tell when you're wearing scrubs, and if you're saving a life does it matter what you have on YOUR body?