Five Reasons School Psychologist Matter

Five Reasons School Psychologist Matter

Someday I will be one of these

160
Five Reasons School Psychologist Matter

Whenever people ask me, “what’s your major,” and, “what do you want to do with it,” I always give them the same answer like it’s my job. I tell them, “I’m a psychology major and I want to be a school psychologist.” The response I always get relates to how much we need more people like this in the world and I could not agree more. Here is why school psychologists matter and why we need more of them.

Their schedules to see students are flexible.

Normally they only see certain students due to accommodations they may have with their school. Other than that they wait for other students to arrive for help and advice.

They are there if you don’t want to see your school counselor.

Sometimes it’s more than just that grade, that one teacher, or that one thing that’s really school related. If it gets too personal you really have to go to the psychologist’s office.

They are especially there if you don’t want to tell your parents, peers, anyone really.

Whether it’s stuff going on at home or within your friend group you don’t want to tell people about it. If it really gets to you and still don’t want to tell them, just tell the psychologist!

Whatever you talk to them about stays between you two.

They may take notes while you’re talking, but that’s only to fully know the conversation you’re having so they can help you out. After your talk (unless really needed to be addressed) the paper go straight to the garbage can.

They are there for any student, not just their own!

Sure school psychologists work with those who have learning disabilities, but that isn’t their only job. They make sure the whole student body, and even the staff members, are emotionally stable throughout their days. Sometimes the school counselors may need to check in with them for an hour or two.

I remember all the times my school psychologists were there me, and not just because of my learning disability. I knew I could put my trust into them to make sure I was doing the right thing before I could make that call. After being exited from counseling with my special education I would still go back from time to time to say hello not just because I knew where their office was, but because they helped in your life one way or another and all you want to do is thank them and tell them how important they are. This is why school psychologists matter, pass it on!