5 Reasons Growing Up Overseas Makes Me The Same As Everyone Else

"My Home Is In Heaven, I'm Just Traveling Through This World" -Billy Graham

99
Julentto Photography

Living overseas as an "MK" Missionary comes with many blessings and challenges, through the struggles of being far from home, and the joys of discovering home through the relationships made. It's a very different lifestyle for most families, through international schools, learning new languages, and experiencing new cultures. And while it is a fun story to tell, I'm not different from anyone else.

People either see it as an exotic lifestyle, jealous of the places I've traveled to and want to hear me speak in a foreign language, completely unaware of where certain countries are, and how to pronounce the city you lived in. Then there are the missionaries who glamorize this lifestyle, milking each story and taking advantage of each opportunity to share their stories. But I'm here to say there are similarities, whether you've lived in a million different places, traveled overseas, or never left the country, here are five reasons why being a missionary kid is not different from any regular kid.

1. Family is everywhere

It doesn't matter how far away, or how close together because you'll always have a family. Family are the people who support you, who encourage you, tease you, and sometimes drive you insane, but that's family. Living overseas changes the dynamic when it comes to family gatherings and holidays, but while we might not all be in close proximity to our family's we find family wherever we go, so really, we're never too far away.

2. School is school

Some people love school, other people hate school, and some are indifferent, but ultimately not matter where you go in the world, school is school. Unfortunately, you can never escape the crazy teachers, the mean classmates, and high school drama, because they're everywhere.

You might not like the school where you're at and wish you were somewhere else, but ultimately school is the same no matter where you go. It might not be easy to be content, or even happy with your school, but know there are kids all over the world thinking the same things you are.

3. Puberty is REAL

Oh, Puberty. The lovely voice changes, and emotional ups and downs. Puberty is, in fact, a worldwide thing, we've all had those horrible haircuts, the awkward stages, and hideous wardrobes. Sadly that too follows you wherever you go, sneaking up on you and changing life as you knew it.

I remember one of the hardest things about going through this lovely experience was thinking I was alone, which we all tend to think when we're going through a tough time. The funny thing is while we think we're the only ones, the rest of the world is right there with us, experiencing the same things. It doesn't matter how you were raised, or where you grew up, puberty will get a hold of you. But thank God it doesn't last forever.

4. ALL Life is Unique

People are always amazed to hear I grew up in Eastern Europe, as I am when I hear stories from friends who have grown up in different countries. I get asked, "what was it like?" and "what are the differences," and while of course there are differences, what I tend to tell people is it was all that I knew. I grew up there, so for me, that was everyday life. There are differences when it comes to traditions and cultures, but people are different no matter where you go.

Each household has a tradition, each person you meet is incredibly unique, so maybe you haven't met someone from Europe, you know someone who lives across the street, or who goes to your school, and they add to our lives by changing the dynamic of how we live, making us look at life differently, and see things from a different perspective. There is nothing glamorous about living in Europe versus living in America because people are people, we have good and bad things wherever we go, but ultimately all life is unique and special.

5. Struggles are REAL

Sometimes we think if only I moved, or if only I didn't live here, life would be so much easier, or more enjoyable, but sadly that isn't the case. Struggles are real whether you're eating a pastry under the Eiffel tower, surging in Hawaii, or living it up in a casino in Vegas. We all have our hurts and our pains. Something I never talked much about was how disconnected I felt living outside of America. People would always say they were so jealous, and remind me of how cool it was, which I fully realize and never take for granted.

But sometimes I wanted normal, I wished for a house in a neighborhood where my friends lived, and close to my grandparents. To be able to turn on the tv and watch shows in English, or to enjoy simple things like going to Target, or being apart of homecoming. To everyone else that isn't glamours or exciting, but I think sometimes we forget just how special even the little things are. Life is hard in the good places, and the bad places, but it's not a mistake, because the good reminds us to be thankful for what we have, and the bad reminds us that life is short, and time is precious.

I lived a different life from a lot of people, but in many ways, we're all the same. With the same struggles, similar family lives, educations, and life changes. I didn't miss out on anything, even if I wished I could have done certain things, I got other things instead.

My life was not glamours, better, or worse than anyone else's, it was home. And no matter where we are, or what kind of lives we've had thus far, we all know home, and what it means to find our little happy place in this great big world. Your life is unique and exciting, because you get to live it, and locations come and go, but family, and friends are forever.