High School Was Cool, But I Am So Glad It Is Over

Five reasons why I don't miss it.

20
The U.S. National Archives

I am about to start my final semester of university. When I graduate I would have spent three and a half years at the great University of Oklahoma (Boomer Sooner!). And while I am busy with trying to get into law school and trying to satisfy all the items on my college bucket list, I can't help but think of how much I don't miss high school.

I went to a really good school (go Huskies!), and I enjoyed most of the people I interacted with on a daily basis. I had really good teachers who showed me the value of an education and friends who showed me the value in doing stupid things. But good people are everywhere and I do stupid stuff all the time, so those aren't good reasons to not hate high school.

It wasn't the worst experience in the world, in fact, I had a lot of fun, but I'm glad I don't have to do it anymore. The following is a list of reasons why I don't miss high school.

1. Waking Up Too Early

At my high school first period started at 7:20 a.m. In the United States, the most over worked developed nation, the average work day begins at 9 a.m. That means that in tenth grade I was having to start my day earlier than most adults. True, I did get out in the early afternoon, but that doesn't count. Back then you got used to having to get up a 6 a.m. and you could power through the drowsiness like a knife through butter. How? Because high schoolers don't have souls. Nowadays I barely make it to a 9 a.m. lecture, but you better believe I was having a great time at 11 p.m. the night before. And even if you are the kind of person who naturally gets up at 6 a.m. in college, that's great, because morning is the most beautiful time of the day and now you can enjoy it thoroughly. Isn't it nice not being in high school?

2. Principals

Ever been yelled at in university for being in the hall during class? Remember your parents getting a phone call the last time you disrupted a lecture by eating Chick-fil-A? Remember getting a condescending lecture against your will for doing something stupid? If you are a college student or working the answer to all of the questions will be an unequivocal "no." Know why? Because principals only exist in high school and below. Isn't that nice? Yes, it is. Principals are like parents because they pretty much have a free pass to give you shit, but unlike parents, they aren't subject to social pressures to give you gifts in December.

3. Class Schedules

I have already mentioned the fact that high school starts incredibly early, but probably the best part about a university and just all around not having to be in high school is the fact that you get to set your own schedule. Unless you are incarcerated or on active duty in the military, you are free to pretty much do whatever you want whenever you want. In high school, you could actually face criminal charges for not showing up to class. By you I mean your parents, but still. This is what is called "truancy" and it legitimizes the academic servitude of our nation's youth. Want two classes five hours apart? Go for it. You want five classes in one day three times a week? Shoot for the stars, champ, no skin off my back. Don't want to go to college at all? You do you, fam. In high school, I was in class for pretty much four hours straight, got a forty-five minute break for lunch in which I had to be in the lunch room, and then back in class for two hours. It doesn't sound that bad at 22, but back then it blew. Now that I'm out of high school I've started doing this crazy new thing called "enjoying my day" I really like it, and there is no way I am going back to high school after tasting this delicious freedom.

4. Advanced Placement Tests

Not every high school in Oklahoma holds these tests, so let me break it down for my rural fam real quick. There are these special classes you can take in school, there is more home work, harder tests, and if you pay $100 you take one test to get a max of 3 college credit hours. A lot of people do this, and I'll have to say it's a good way to get actually qualified educators. But in the end, you are doing almost double the work for one test. In real university, you can fail quizzes, skip class, but as long as you pass the class you still get credit. I mean, you should still try because that GPA is a real thing. But what I am trying to say is that it is better to spread the stress out over a whole semester rather than packing it into one day. I also despise how the AP vs Non-AP courses divide the school. Students who opt out of AP classes basically learn nothing while AP students go crazy for 3 measly credit hours. A concurrent class is a good way to get college credit as a high school student.

5. Everything else

In high school, I was a dumb teenager riddled with angst and anxiety. Now, I'm an adult. I mean, I'm still dumb and anxious, but now I am an adult and I can do things about it. Also, those halls were crazy crowded, it still happens in college, but it's not as bad. Sure, high school was cool, but I am so glad it is over.