Five Places To Visit During Your First Week In San Diego.

23

Hey, future Tritons, need some help planning your first look at San Diego? Here are some great places to keep in mind!

July is quickly coming to a close, but with a good two months still left before the beginning of a brand new school year, it is easy to feel like you are stuck in a never ending loop of summer. If you are an incoming freshman or transfer student, the excitement about going to college for the first time or attending a new institution can wane after a lengthy summer. One way to make sure your first week lives up to expectations is to make a list of all the places in San Diego that you want to visit. Here are five places to get you started.

1. La Jolla Cove. This is an ecologically protected beach off of Coast Boulevard. It is one of the prettiest beach spots in San Diego, and the perfect place for kayaking, scuba diving, or splashing around in the calm water. If you keep following Coast Boulevard you will end up near Point Mencinger and Seal Rock, where you can find the perfect background for your new profile picture and make friends with the adorable seals! Most of the time, when UCSD students mention the Cove, they are also referring to the shopping and dining district right above the beach which, you can reach via the MTS 30 bus. The area is actually called Village of La Jolla, and it just so happens to have one of the best places for breakfast. I would definitely put The Cottage towards the top of my list!

2. Birch Aquarium at Scripps Institute of Oceanography. Birch Aquarium is another stop along the MTS 30 bus route. Here, you can find a variety of Pacific marine life within the more than 60 habitats that the aquarium has to offer, along with its 10 featured exhibits. Making the trip to the aquarium is a great way to get off campus without having to go the distance, and the aquarium also has a detailed calendar on their website where they post cool events happening each month. Last year Birch Aquarium offered free admission to UCSD students for the first week of school -- bet that caught your attention.

3. Ocean Beach. Ocean Beach has some great attractions to visit, but it is farther from campus. If you have a car, it is a 20 minute drive via I-5 South; if not, it is possible to travel by MTS. You will have to take two buses and it will take about an hour, but my roommates and I actually enjoyed taking multiple buses to explore San Diego, because it made the trip more exciting! One of the must go-to places in OB is the Dog Beach. Yup, it is a beach that wants you to bring dogs! For those of you who live locally, and have a four-legged best friend, this would be a great new place to explore. For those of you who have to take the bus or live on campus, check it out anyway -- you will learn soon enough that when you go to college, any chance to interact with man's best friend is not something you pass up! 

Some other cool places to check out include the OB Farmer's Market, OB Oktoberfest, and the OB pier and tide pools. If you are hungry, definitely hit up OB Noodle House. It was featured on Guy Fieri's Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives! 

4. Downtown San Diego. Downtown San Diego has a ton of places to eat, play, and shop. If you are in the mood for the bar and club scene, try Gaslamp Quarter. You can also find some great eateries, stores for window shopping, and theaters. In the mood for authentic Italian? Visit Little Italy; they have a Farmer's Market every Saturday. Are you looking for a museum or to spend a day near the water? Visit Marina neighborhood, as they have attractions like Seaport Village, the San Diego Convention Center, and the USS Midway Aircraft Carrier Museum.

5. Balboa Park. This is home to the San Diego Zoo, 17 museums, 19 gardens,  performing arts venues, and several other attractions like the Balboa Miniature Railroad. You could spend every day of your first week at UCSD here and still not see all it has to offer. One of the attractions you definitely want to see is The Haunted Trail. It runs the entire month of October, and what better way to create new friendships than bonding over the shared memory of your roommates taking you down with them as they fell to the ground in fear? Yup, never letting them live that one down. 

Check out these web pages for more info!