Five Life Lessons From The Green Bay Packers

Nothing better than that green and gold

31

The Green Bay Packers are America’s favorite football team. They have the greatest fan base spread across the nation. They display excellence on and off of the field and are great models. I’ve been watching the Green Bay Packers for as long as I can remember. While watching them, I have learned many valuable life lessons that have helped me throughout my life.

Life Lesson #1:If at first you don’t succeed, try again.

Last year was the ultimate test for the Packers. Something wasn’t clicking and they lost multiple games in a row. During this down time, Aaron Rodgers took to the media and said one word to the fans, “R-E-L-A-X.” Rodgers knew that they were just in a slump and they would be out of it soon. In life, you can’t give up after failing. Getting up makes you stronger and shows your perseverance.

Life Lesson #2:Always have a backup plan.

If you have Eddie Lacy and Jordy Nelson on your line, and the defense for the opposing team isn’t very fast but they’re huge, you’re going to go long and throw to Jordy instead of handing it off to Eddie because it’s the smartest plan. It’s necessary to have many backup plans in order to succeed. If your first plan doesn’t work out, move onto the next one and keep going until you succeed.

Life Lesson #3:Know who you can count on.

The Jordy Nelson/Aaron Rodgers combo is one that Packer fans obsess over. Rodgers can always count on Jordy to be there when he goes long and Jordy knows that Aaron will give him a great throw. Having people you can count on is essential. Find people who you care about and who care about you and life will be much easier.

Life Lesson #4:Timing is everything.

There’s one minute left in the fourth quarter and the Packers are down by one touchdown. Rodgers looks at the clock and decides to throw the ball. If there would’ve been more time, Rodgers would’ve handed off the ball and ran down the clock. Going for it all at the wrong time will not only cause you to fail, but allow your rivals to capitalize. Plan ahead and think about your actions before you begin them and you can end up scoring a touchdown.

Life Lesson #5: The least flashy people are often the most important.

On ESPN, you never hear about the linemen on the Packers. They serve a huge purpose and work their tails off but never get any recognition. They put in the hard work knowing they will never really be in the spotlight. If it weren’t for these linemen, the Packers wouldn’t be a winning team. The people behind the scenes tend to be the workhorses and keep everything working smoothly. If you are one of these people, thank you for all that you do. If you aren’t, thank those who are; your job wouldn’t be as easy without them.

I’ve been lucky enough to grow up watching the Green Bay Packers. They’ve taught me many valuable life lessons that will stick with me for the rest of my life. What lessons have you learned from your favorite team?