5 Essentials To Keep Your Dorm Room Clean

Dorms can be messy and gross, but having these five essential items will make it a lot easier to stay clean.

56
Petr Kratochvil

There are a handful of things that no matter what, every college student living in the dorms needs in order to have a successful and reasonably sanitary year. Dorms get dirty, communal bathrooms are generally gross, and college students are not known for their commitment to cleaning. However, with these five things, you can (hopefully) stave off some of the horrifying levels of dirt that your classmates will certainly acquire.

1. A shower caddy

These are without a doubt, absolutely, and non-negotiably essential. My reasoning here is twofold; one, you don't want to have to carry bottles of shampoo, conditioner, body wash, and everything else you need in the shower down the hall every time you want to take a shower. Two, the showers are somewhat gross, despite the cleaning staff's best efforts to keep them clean. You don't want your stuff sitting on the floor and getting dirty! Get a shower caddy. You'll need one.

2. DustBuster (or similar small vacuum)

College students are notoriously lazy, and having to haul out a big vacuum or go rent one from the dorm's service desk are guaranteed ways to ensure your dorm room is not vacuumed once over the course of the year. Having a small, handheld vacuum in your room is a great incentive to vacuum up small messes and even give the room a once-over occasionally. When things are easily accessible, you're more likely to use them.

3. Clorox wipes

Germs spread like wildfire throughout dorms, and I'm convinced that one of the reasons is because no one properly cleans their stuff. I know I was guilty of it, and I didn't get any cleaning wipes until my roommate got the flu and I realized that I needed to take every step possible to prevent from getting it myself. The wipes are easy to use and effective, making them a perfect choice for college kids. You'd be surprised how much cleaning you can do with some Clorox wipes!

4. Swiffer

This isn't something I had my first year, but I'm hoping to bring one with me this fall. It seems a little redundant to have both a Swiffer and a vacuum, but for girls with long hair, having both is important. It's gross, but your hair will get all over the floor and trying to vacuum it up will likely result in your hair getting tangled in the vacuum and rendering your vacuum ineffective. Swiffers are inexpensive, and you can even just get the pads and use them as dusters and sweepers without having the full system.

5. A complete second set of bedding and towels

This one seems either odd or obvious depending on your perspective, but I'm here to tell you it's incredibly important. Changing your sheets and towels regularly is important for cleanliness and hygiene, and it's a lot easier to do when you have a second set clean and waiting for you. Having to strip your bed, wash the sheets, and put the sheets back on all in one day is a surefire way to ensure that your sheets never get changed. If you've got two sets, you can strip the bed one day, put your second set of sheets on, and wash your sheets when it's most convenient for you. The same goes for towels!

There you have it: my five essentials for keeping your dorm (relatively) clean!