Five Books To Start Off The School Year

Five Books To Start Off The School Year

Here are five books to look at before you have too much homework!

Now that the school year has started up, or is about to start up for some, what better time to grab a few novels for your downtime? The further you get into the school year, the more work you're going to have, so it's best to read while you still have the chance! In the list below, I've listed a few books I'm planning on reading.

1. "Armada" by Ernest Cline

By the author of "Ready Player One", "Armada" follows Zack Lightman as he dreams. He wishes that the real world was more like the science-fiction books, movies, and video games he loves, but he knows better to separate real life from fiction. That is, until one day, an alien ship lands, and Zack is the hero the world is looking for. The only problem is the ship is straight out of a popular online flight simulator called Armada. Has Zack lost his mind?

2. "The Magic Strings of Frankie Pesto" by Mitch Albom

"The Magic Strings of Frankie Pesto" is told from the perspective of Music. Music is a talent personified to show how it was able to change lives through its most beloved disciple, Frankie Pesto. Music follows him from being an orphan as a result of a Spanish War to becoming a famous rock star. His gift of music becomes a burden as it becomes more clear that his music affects people's futures. Frankie Pesto is destined to change six people's lives with the six strings of his guitar, but it's unclear where and when.

3. "Eliza and Her Monsters" by Francesca Zappia

"Eliza and Her Monsters" follows a girl named Eliza Mirk who has a hard time fitting in. However, online, she finds a world of people who accept her, and even adore her for her extremely popular web comic titled "Monstrous Sea." Eliza doesn't think she'll enjoy the real world, but is comfortable with her online fame. Things change when Wallace Warland, "Monstrous Sea"'s number one fanfiction author transfers to Eliza's school. No one knows her secret still, and they become close. But what happens when suddenly her secret is shared with the world?

4. "Spaceman of Bohemia" by Jaroslav Kalfar

In "Spaceman of Bohemia," Jakub Prochazka is an orphaned boy raised by his grandparents in the Czech countryside. He rises from the small town to become the country's first astronaut, and gains fame for accepting the dangerous solo mission to Venus. Jakub has always dreamt of this fame to atone for his father's sins as a Communist informer. In his quest, he leaves behind his wife, Lenka. In deep space, and on the brink of insanity, Jakub meets a giant alien spider, who may or may not be imaginary, to have philosophical conversations and form a bond with. Will this strange friend be what makes it possible for him to return to his wife with his sanity in tact?

5. "The Wolf Wilder" by Katherine Rundell

Feo and her mother train domesticated wolves to return back to the snow wild of Russia, and Feo couldn't love their work more. There are a few that been wilded that won't leave Feo, and have become her friends. Still, not everyone loves wolve, espeically the General Rakov. To save her mother, and the wolves, Feo must leave the icy woods to St. Petersburg to trust strangers who might be able to save her.