"Sweat is just fat crying"

-The Fitness Struggle

We have all been there; the dreaded "I just want to lose 5 lbs" to fit back into those old skinny jeans or to feel beach-body ready. It has probably taken you months or even years to kick that flab away for good. You may have tried dieting, going to the gym, and possibly even resorted to weight loss supplements. Even though summer has already started, it's never too late to get started no matter what season. Fear no more, here are my top 10 tips to be your fittest self ever:

1) SLEEP

Did you know, not getting enough sleep can raise your cortisol levels (aka stress hormones) which can lead to increased levels of ghrelin? You might be sabotaging yourself without even realizing it. Without a full night's sleep, your body begins to feel hungry and start craving all kinds of fatty starchy foods due to an increase in your hunger hormone ghrelin. Without enough sleep, your leptin (aka fullness hormone) levels plummet, making it harder for you to feel full and causing you to eat more. With your ghrelin and leptin levels out of wack from sleep deprivation, along with increased cortisol levels causing you to hold onto your body's fat for fuel your tired body, you have created a recipe for disaster. Please, do yourself a favor, try your best to get those precious 8-10 hours of sleep per night.

2) H2O

Who knew you could burn more calories just by drinking more water?! According to the WHO, it is recommended that you consume roughly half your body weight in oz, which can vary depending on age, size, and other factors. Drinking more water throughout your day can help you slash at least 1/4 of your daily caloric intake. Not only does water help our body rid itself of toxins, it can help suppress your appetite when consumed before a meal and keep you feeling fuller for longer.

3) DIET

The old adage, "you are what you eat," is true because we are composed of the very things we consume and what you eat is what you wear. It's no wonder that diet is the most widely debated topic in health, especially with the billions of dollars poured into the food industry by the hour. From the beginning of our species, humankind has thrived on a plant-based whole foods lifestyle, packed full of nutrients from fresh fruits and vegetables, which per calorie have the most nutrients than any other food on the planet. If you are eating to lose weight, I recommend reducing your daily caloric intake by 20% and limiting the amount of fat in your diet to less than 10% of daily calories.

4) HIGH-INTENSITY INTERVAL TRAINING (HIIT)

You may have heard of this before and for good reason. While there is a lot to cover in just this topic alone, the major benefit from performing HIIT is that you stimulate your fast-twitch muscle fibers which keeps your metabolism burning faster all day long. There is too much to learn , but the best thing you can do right now is just get started!

5) FITBIT

It helps to keep a record of your progress from the start. If you don't have one today, I implore you to download the free Fitbit app to your smartphone immediately so you can start tangibly reaping the benefits of all your hard work and cheer on your friends too. Need more incentive? You can also earn free money for your all your hard earn progress by downloading the free app called Achievemint , which syncs to your phone to tally all of your steps, exercise hours, food, water, and sleep logs to encourage you all the more!

6) SUNLIGHT

Catching your daily rays can keep the flab away by increasing your serotonin, helping to balance your hypothalamus and even making it easier to fall asleep at night which in turn helps you stay lean and happy too!

7) TEA

Yes, drinking at least 2 cups of green tea a day can help you lose weight! Don't like green tea? Try herbals suchs as hibiscus which is good for your heart, mint tea which is fantastic for your lymphatic system, or rooibos which reulates fat-storage hormones.

8) SAUNA

Do as the Russians do in Banya and sweat it out! It may only be water weight , but it is a great way to relax your muscles after a tiresome workout and speeds up recovery time. You could even do the reverse as they do in Finland called the Finnish Dip, which insanely boosts your immune system so you can keep fighting the flab with no time wasted.

9) INTERMITTENT FASTING

This is a very touchy topic for most. However, fasting for one day per week has been a long and trusted weight loss tactic throughout the centuries. While it can be used haphazardly, if you are under the supervision of a licensed doctor or health professional, you can reap the health benefits of fasting all around.

10) MOTIVATION

Losing weight is much easier said than done. No one said it would be easy. However, if you have these 3 key secrets in combination with each other, your success shortly awaits: discipline, commitment, and will! The time is now to look and feel the way you have always desired. Your body is ready for you and you now have all the tools you need to begin your journey to the best you ever! FYI: Everyone slips up along the way; we are only human. Just remember to keep going and always make the best choice you can in each moment. No matter when you get there, what counts is that you "keep going." Don't give up and love yourself along the way! <3

<3 #bodylove #bodypositive #bethebestyou <3