I Hated Fitbits, But Now I Have One And I Use It Every Day, In A Healthy Way

Sometimes, we knock things too quickly before we try them.

110

When Fitbits first became popular, I didn't think much of them. I thought they were for super intense athletes who need to track everything 24/7. When some of my friends started to wear them and had a fun time tracking their steps, I was even more certain I would never get a Fitbit. Why? Because I did not want to tracking my steps to become an obsessive thing. I wanted my health to be walking around and working out for me, not for numbers. If I got a Fitbit, I didn't want my goal of maintaining fitness to be tainted by an obsessive need to reach 10,000 steps every day or to reach a certain amount of calories burned. I just don't think that's a healthy way to go about life.

Sure enough, Apple released their Apple Watch, and both of my parents got one. They set up their watches so that they could see each other's step count for the day and 'compete' to see who can get a higher step count. For them, it was a fun thing and not unhealthy at all. Though, I still wasn't convinced.

My birthday came around last November, and my dad asked me what I wanted. I rambled off a few random things, and then he asked if I wanted an Apple Watch. I answered with a hard NO. I still felt no need to know my step count, heart rate, calories burned, or any other weird thing the watch could tell me.

Not only did the obsessive health part turn me away from getting either device, but also the look. How could I wear a square and clunky thing on my wrist all day? I rarely wear bracelets because they annoy me so much. This was just another reason not to get one.

Suddenly, my view changed. I cannot for the life of me pinpoint my change of heart, but I think it had to do with the new year. I don't make new year resolutions, I think they're counterproductive (because why make a resolution on January 1st that I could have made any other day of the year and stuck with, right? I digress, it is good for some people. Not for me.) But, people making resolutions got me thinking that I did want to do something. I am a health nut and I'm conscious of the 'good' and 'bad' things I eat and use. So, a watch that could track my runs for me and my cardiovascular health sounded amazing.

I did some research on the differences between Apple Watches and Fitbits, and decided I wanted a Fitbit. I hate the size of the newer models, so I got a smaller, rectangular shaped one. I can change the bands between metal and silicone depending on the occasion, and the color depending on my outfit. After using it for a few days now, I've found that it's fun to look at my health with my Fitbit and it gives me insight into my everyday fitness.

I went from really hating Fitbits and everything they stood for, to loving them and using one every day. This is my PSA to try something before putting it in the 'bad' category.