What My First Year Of College Has Taught Me

This is what I have learned, and I wouldn't change a thing.

98
http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/journalnow.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/5/bd/5bdec614-db50-537a-b7e2-a3cd4ebb8466/57c4dcee7d877.image.jpg?resize=1200%2C820

College. Gotta love it, gotta hate it. Although my first year has probably been one of the most stressful and challenging years of my life, it has also been one of the best years. I have learned a lot about myself and I am proud to say that after this year I am a better version of myself than I was in high school. But it was not easy getting to this point, and I know I still have a long way to go. But my first year was definitely a good start in finding my path.

My first semester and my second semester were two completely different experiences. And I know the years to come will surprise me even more. But here are some of the most important things that my first year experience has taught me so far.

The college bubble is real.

When I am on campus, I often feel like I am disconnected from everywhere else. Sometimes I will hear about current events, but often times I will be too busy with work to keep up with everything that is going on in the world. The real world just seems so out of reach.

It is also hard to keep up with checking in with my friends and family at home, because I tend to get so caught up with my life on campus. I did not go to a college that was close to home, so I tend to feel disconnected at times. But I know that my friends and family will always be there, and that makes coming home for breaks all the better.

College can be stressful, but you CAN overcome it.

There were many times this year where I felt completely stressed out, whether that was about work, friends, rushing, or just being away from home. But even though things got tough, I was always able to make my own solutions and find solace in my friends. I also know now that there are many problems that can only be solved by you and not anyone else, but I'm glad that college has helped me become a stronger person who is more capable of finding solutions to problems than before.

You will make mistakes, but you will learn from them.

We are human. We make mistakes. It happens. Although it can be embarrassing or stressful when I do make mistakes, I always learn from them and know how to avoid screwing up again. I have also learned how to laugh at most of the mistakes I've made, which has helped me appreciate my college experience even more.

It IS possible to balance your social life and your school life.

As long as you keep track of what school work you have to do and by when, there is no problem with finding time to have fun with your friends. Happiness is so important for a healthy mind, and I find that I am happiest when I am having a good time with my friends. As long as you don't avoid your school work too much, I believe that you should always put your relationships with other people first and not feel bad about it. You will achieve your best academic performance when you are happy, so as long as you fit in enough time for the things that make you your best self then you can feel good when it is time to crack down and study. And if you really put in the effort to manage your time wisely, it is very achievable.

You will meet some of the best people you could ever meet.

College has opened a whole new world of people who I probably would not have met at any other point in my life. And the good thing about college is that you can find and make the friends that are perfect for you, and you are not confined to the "rules" and "social norms" of high school. There are no people who are more popular than others, so why pressure yourself to fit in with people that you don't? I have learned that you will meet the people who you are meant to meet, and the friendships that you will make with the people you connect to will be unlike any other friendships you have had before. So never force any friendships, because there are plenty of people on this campus that you can meet and form unbreakable bonds with.

Change is okay.

Friends will change, your beliefs will change, and YOU will change. The shift from high school to college can be hard at first, but I think that it is a change for the better if you let yourself be willing to change. Adjusting to a new atmosphere can be hard, but it reminds you that you can be whoever you want to be or go wherever you want to go. You will meet some people the first few months who you think you'll be friends with but end up not, and that is OKAY. Everything happens for a reason, and I promise that you will find your place eventually, even if it takes time.