5 Things To Remember During Your First Year Of College

For the girls.

12

What is life like for a first-year female college student, one may ask? Well, for those of you that fall under that category, you've probably experienced many happy, depressing, emotional, joyous, tedious, and overwhelming situations. Ah, welcome to life, women! The first year of college can be challenging. Being away from home and taking tough college classes are just a fraction of the challenges that some may face. Even though the first year of college has rough patches, the experiences that you go through during your first semester, and even your whole first year, prepare you for the “real world.” How you manage balancing your time with classes, a part-time job, and being away from home make you into the adult you're meant to be. We all have a purpose here in this world, and college is where you'll find it.

This school year, you've probably asked yourself questions such as, “How often should I call my parents? Should I even call them at all?” or “How am I going to handle all of these classes and a job?” Well, you’re in luck, because below are five things that will help you succeed as a female during your first year of college.

1. If you make a to-do list at the beginning of each week, you will be less stressed out.

Yes, college is a time to explore, have a blast, and make new friends, but there are also tasks that you have to complete each week. In college, it can be very easy to procrastinate because of all of the free time that you have, but try not to. Instead, at the beginning of each week, make a “to-do list:" homework assignments, essays, submitting job applications, or even doing laundry (I know I procrastinate on laundry) When you make your list, put the most important task first, and then go from there. This task list will help keep you organized for the week, as well as less stressed out!

2. Don’t forgot to call Mom and Dad.

One of the reasons that college can be so much fun is that you can basically do whatever you want, and you don’t have to ask your parents, or anyone, if you can! With that being said, your parents worked really hard raising you, and they would appreciate if you would give them a call every now and then. They want to know what’s going on in your lives! Now, you don’t have to tell them every little detail (I know we all keep secrets from our parents), but give them the basics. Also, don’t feel weird telling your family that you miss them or that you miss home. It’s perfectly normal to miss home, and your family will feel loved, knowing that you miss them. Don’t be afraid to talk to them about things going on in your life either. You may feel uncomfortable talking to them about things that you're going through, because you want to seem all independent and you want to figure things out for yourself, but remember it's OK to ask them for help with anything. After all, they have much more life experience than you do.

3. Ladies, it's OK to go a day without makeup.

I know some of you probably wear makeup every single day, but remember, you don't have to! You are going to have days when you pulled an all-nighter, or woke up late, and you won’t have time to put on makeup, and that’s OK. Remember that you're beautiful, no matter what. And if you wear makeup every day, don’t do it because you’re trying to impress those nice-looking college boys: Do it for you and only you. If makeup makes you feel confident, then go for it! You do you and own it!

4. You don't have to go out and party every weekend.

There are always going to be those people that go out and party every single weekend, but remember that you don't have to be one of them. You honestly don't have to do anything that you don’t want to do. You can sit at home and watch Netflix on a Friday night, or even read a book, if you want to. And, don’t go to a party because you know that cute boy from your math class will be there. If a party is not your type of scene, you don’t have to go. It’s all up to you. But, if you do decide to go out, always go in a group of about three or four people, and make a pact before you go into the party that you will all stick together.

5. Take time for yourself.

There are many wonderful opportunities in college, such as internships, jobs, and even clubs. You should definitely join a club, or get a job, or do something fun, but don’t get too busy to where it gets to the point that you have no time for yourself or your friends. During your first year of college, you’re going to want to do it all, but don’t feel pressured. I know I did last semester. I thought, “Life is so short, why not try to do it all?” Remember that you have a whole four years to accomplish everything that you want to do. Always take time for yourself doing the things that you like, such as reading a book, writing, or working out!

Now, even though I gave you five tips for college, there's one last thing you should know that is the most important to help you succeed in college. It’s believing in yourself. Believing in yourself is the major key to success in everyday life. Now, there are going to be days when you’re feeling insecure and don’t want to believe in yourself and that’s OK. Just take it day by day, and you will be fine. Go through each day with a positive mindset and attitude, and you will be fine. Who knows, maybe in a year or two you’ll be writing an article just like this one!