15 Thoughts Every First Time Food Retail Worker Has

And if you work at Starbucks, kudos to you.

23
Serena Wong

1. Shit. There's so many buttons.

How am I supposed to remember all of the combinations??? (This also gets five times worse if you're serving coffee.)

2. Did I punch in this morning?

See also: When did I get here? How many years has it been? Do I get to have a break yet? I need to remember to punch out.

3. How is it only (insert time of your choosing here)?

I swear I've been here longer than that. Wait, when did I clock in again? When do I even clock out? Am I here all day today? Is time just a vacuum in a meaningless existence? What even is the concept of time? Shit, more customers.

4. Dammit, am I out of change again?

I just asked for more change fifteen minutes ago. Shit. But it's really not my fault they keep giving me twenties. What am I supposed to do with them, give them straight back?

5. NO WAIT SLOW DOWN I'M NEW I DON'T KNOW WHERE ANYTHING IS

Look, I don't know how to code for this order quite yet! Or any of these weird out of the ordinary orders! Or that weird item you're requesting! Give me some T I M E!

6. When am I going to learn how to do everything?

I mean, I'm going to be expected to know how to do everything at some point. Why not teach me on the first day? Oh, wait, is that...? Yeah. That's a long line of customers.

7. WHAT DO YOU MEAN I'M GONNA SMELL LIKE (insert main food here)

It's not like I'm inhaling the food per se...I'm just going to come off of my shift smelling like I did. Great. (Bonus misery points if you hate what you're serving.) Is it going to wash out of my hair?

8. I'm not getting paid enough for this.

Is anyone getting paid enough for this? Is minimum really enough for us to be stressed about drink combos and punching in? No? Maybe? Well, it's all I got.

9. Oh, my god. The line's so long.

I...was not aware working this type of job meant you were somewhat of a local celebrity. That is, until the next food truck blows in and sweeps your audience away. Still. This line's as long as the one to try and get Chainsmokers tickets.

10. I'm going to be nice to all of my food workers after this. This is what they go through, they deserve better.

Who in their right mind doesn't tip their waitresses? TIP 'EM. THEY NEED THIS. ESPECIALLY IF YOU'VE ASKED FOR OUTRAGEOUS THINGS. And maybe I won't be so harsh on them either. It's a tough knock job.

11. *endless line of expletives*

It literally doesn't get more accurate than that.

12. Is my shift over yet?

See: Did I clock in yet this morning? Did I clock into life? What day is it? What year is it? Who am I?

13. How much are they even paying me?

See: I'm not getting paid enough for this. It'd better be at least minimum, or there's gonna be a lawsuit. I can smell it in the air.

14. I can go home?!

I haven't moved from this station in three hours. I just wanna go home and Netflix things.

15. That...was..a...wreck.